Why would this happen?

cravejosh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
I built a new computer about 2 weeks ago. I have been babying it before I overclock.

i5 with asrock z77 Extreme 4.

Last night I decided to see what my temps would be doing a 4.1 overclock just using the motherboard overclock feature. Booted into windows did a lil stress test for about 5 min and everything was good. Went back into the bios and set everything back to normal. Booted into windows 8 and my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work at all. Odd as that may be I rebooted back into the bios. Keyboard and mouse worked fine while in bios. OK great must have been a fluke. Booted back into windows and the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. Went back into the bios and set it back to factory defaults thinking something must have went wrong. To make a long story short I finally booted the computer with the keyboard and mouse both unplugged, when windows loaded I plugged them in and they worked. Did a reboot and now they work fine.

What could have happened? I'm confused and now I'm afraid to actually overclock the computer the right way.

Any help would surely ease my mind.

Thanks!!!

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
list your specs, and the key board and mouse type. i would prolly go with its a windows 8 problem though, off the bat. maybe try a search for any recent trouble with win8 and usb devices. could just be a driver issue.

cravejosh

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
System:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case )
Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Mouse: razer-imperator
Keyboard: Razer Tarantula

n1ghtr4v3n

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
since mouse/keyboard communicates through qpi via l3 cache overclocking with automatic features from motherboard causes problems like this. just do your overclocking yourself and try not to pass qpi voltage and frequency limits (because automatic overclock features just mess with it and may increase freq's and voltages more than you actually need) and no need to be afraid cause it happens.
good luck