Computer boots up briefly, then stops.

ActAccordingly

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Alright, this is driving me insane. I fried my motherboard that I've had for years recently. Just to hold me over until I can get what I want, I went and got a cheap from from a local computer store, I got something I have never heard of, "Fujistu Siemens, D2178-A." I have been having nothing but problems. I originally hooked everything up and tried to boot, the CPU fan, Video card Fan, and other tower fans spin for a second and then stop.

To try to fix the problem I unhooked everything from the motherboard. Everything except the 24-pin power line, the 4-pin power line, the Heat-sync fan, and a little bit of ram. Needless to say I still had the same problem.

After that didn't work, I changed out the PSU with a more powerful one. That did nothing. Change out the CPU with a lesser one, that did nothing.

From there I thought that there must be a short somewhere. Then, I unhooked the motherboard all together from the case and laid it on a piece of cardboard to eliminate any shorting problems that may be causing a problem. This also did not work.

I took the board back to the store where I got it from and told them that it was fried or something, because it just wont work, no matter what I do. Being that they have a no-refund policy, they gave me another board, same model and everything, just a different board. Got home and had the same exact issue. I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do anymore, im losing my mind. They also want me to pay more money to have them do a diagnostic, which I refuse to do.

Is it the motherboard? A PSU issue? CPU issue? I'm all out of ideas, if there is something that I haven't tried, please let me know, in desperate need of help...

Thank you.

ActAccordingly

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the response, I just did what you mentioned and everything is working fine. Stumped again..

It might be a heating issue. Try reinstalling the CPU heatink (clean the old paste and reapply new one).
Check also the front panel header connections. Leave only the power button connected and test.

ActAccordingly

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Alright so reapply new paste and refasten the heat sync and only leave the Power Sw plugged into the header connections? I'll try that really quick, thanks. So what your saying is that the mobo is detecting something is wrong and shutting itself off before it can get to POST and all that?

Just tried this, still no avail. I don't know what else to do, this doesn't make any sense to me. I have never had this problem on a mobo switch.

Not many options, taking into account the no-refund policy. Try changing the board again.
I would ask them to test the board there and prove that it does work, taking into account it's an used one. They might have a pile of defective boards.

ActAccordingly

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Doesn't that battery only control the time and what not in the BiOS? I didn't think that had anything that could stop it from booting completely..