Graphics Crashing when GPU hits approx 70C (AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series)

coffeey

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Basically I will be playing a game for about an hour when suddenly my screen will start to black out. When I stop moving my character again or update the visuals on the screen it will start to black out again until eventually it doesn't come back.

I can fix the problem by simply doing ctrl-alt-delete however I will need to leave my computer to cool down, even though my GPU is capable of withstanding much, much higher temperatures.

Some games this happens on are Arma II, Black Mesa, Mafia III and Tribes ascend.

I have a program called Powerfan which tells me the temperatures of certain parts of my computer and I have noticed that the graphics crash when the GPU is in and around 70C, however I have noticed that Skyrim can surpass that.
The Temp1 is usually about 48C when the GPU is at 70 also.

This is really very irritating seens as I have tried multiple fixes such as running memtest (memory was fine) amongst others.

I would be very very grateful if someone could give me some information on why this is happening and if there is a fix, because I really am not very computer savvy.

Processor: FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core

Power Supply: Powercool 750 watt modular powercool Power Supply (80+)

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
not familiar with powerfan, but get something like hwmonitor, oh and dont forget to check cpu temps just in case, max socket temp ( NOT core temp) for zambezi 4100 / 6100 etcetc.. is 60c

or just basically your card is defective