• Quad
  • Processors
  • Intel
  • Core
  • AMD
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
March 28, 2013 5:01:00 PM

I am trying to find a computer for my nephew. His mom has a budget of under $700. I am a gamer, but I don't use a top of the line PC. I know he will be happy with something that performs similar to mine.

I have the older Intel Quad Core. I am wondering if the AMD will perform as well as mine. It's 2.80 ghz compared to my 2.33ghz, but has a smaller cache size/less cores. He's mainly playing Minecraft, but I don't want to box him in with something that can't handle the games my PC can.

More about : amd 3420 accelerated processor intel core quad q8200

March 28, 2013 5:30:49 PM

The Intel Core 2 Quad is way faster than the A4. If you're on a tight budget, get the FX-6300. It's a great processor.

EDIT: I know you didn't ask for it, but I made a list of suggested parts. This PC will run just about any game out there, including Minecraft. It's under 700$ too.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: CoolMax 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $621.90
March 28, 2013 5:50:34 PM

Don't use a APU for gaming and that Intel processor has a dead socket
Related resources
March 28, 2013 6:20:41 PM

Thanks, Rob. I'm not looking to build one myself. I am planning on buying him a computer with a processor/memory that is similar to mine and then throwing a Radeon HD 7750 in it. My expertise ends beyond installing a graphics card. That $700 also has to include the monitor, unfortunately. I do appreciate the list, though.

Skur- I mentioned the Intel because that is what I have had for the last few years now. I know it's outdated, but I'm happy with the performance. I'm not much of a tech expert, so I can only compare the newer processors to what I have now.

I found a cheap computer with the A-4 but didn't know how it compared, hence the question. I will avoid that one and will keep looking.
March 28, 2013 6:27:59 PM

subversive27 said:
Thanks, Rob. I'm not looking to build one myself. I am planning on buying him a computer with a processor/memory that is similar to mine and then throwing a Radeon HD 7750 in it. My expertise ends beyond installing a graphics card. That $700 also has to include the monitor, unfortunately. I do appreciate the list, though.

Skur- I mentioned the Intel because that is what I have had for the last few years now. I know it's outdated, but I'm happy with the performance. I'm not much of a tech expert, so I can only compare the newer processors to what I have now.

I found a cheap computer with the A-4 but didn't know how it compared, hence the question. I will avoid that one and will keep looking.

Do you happen to have a microcenter close by? They have great deals on AMD processor motherboard combos. You can get sufficient performance from even a FX-4300