Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Radeon HD 7950 Bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 28, 2013 6:16:09 PM

Hey guys,

I've had my pc for quite a while now, and I've been wanting to upgrade the GPU. My eye has fallen on the Radeon HD 7950, but I'm never sure about GPU's and such..

My question is now, will my CPU bottleneck the Radeon HD 7950, are there other problems or are there better cards which I couldn't see with my big nose?

Thanks!

My specs at the moment:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670
Power Supply: Thermaltake XT 775W
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD

(let me know if i forgot something. ^^)

More about : radeon 7950 bottleneck

March 28, 2013 6:29:01 PM

Your CPU should be just fine for that GPU I have the same one, but what kind of monitor setup are you going to have?
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2013 6:33:13 PM

whats your resolution? if 720p or 1080p, don't even worry about it. Lower resolutions will create "bottlenecks" but the fps will be high it won't even really matter unless you do a side by side/frame by frame comparison. Skyrim doesn't play nice with AMD cpu's but a 7950 will have great play no matter what cpu.

Good choice on GPU, but you can save a bit and get the 7870 LE/MYST/TAHITI for cheaper. It is a slightly crippled 7950 with practically the same performance. For reference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
March 28, 2013 6:33:27 PM

spitball91 said:
Your CPU should be just fine for that GPU I have the same one, but what kind of monitor setup are you going to have?


Oh right, I'll be using 1 monitor, that one beeing an LG IPS235V, 23" (1920 x 1080).

ohyouknow said:
whats your resolution? if 720p or 1080p, don't even worry about it. Lower resolutions will create "bottlenecks" but the fps will be high it won't even really matter unless you do a side by side/frame by frame comparison. Skyrim doesn't play nice with AMD cpu's but a 7950 will have great play no matter what cpu.

Good choice on GPU, but you can save a bit and get the 7870 LE/MYST/TAHITI for cheaper. It is a slightly crippled 7950 with practically the same performance. For reference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Alright that answers my question then! Thanks to the both of you :D 
April 2, 2013 6:25:36 PM

Tomva said:
spitball91 said:
Your CPU should be just fine for that GPU I have the same one, but what kind of monitor setup are you going to have?


Oh right, I'll be using 1 monitor, that one beeing an LG IPS235V, 23" (1920 x 1080).

ohyouknow said:
whats your resolution? if 720p or 1080p, don't even worry about it. Lower resolutions will create "bottlenecks" but the fps will be high it won't even really matter unless you do a side by side/frame by frame comparison. Skyrim doesn't play nice with AMD cpu's but a 7950 will have great play no matter what cpu.

Good choice on GPU, but you can save a bit and get the 7870 LE/MYST/TAHITI for cheaper. It is a slightly crippled 7950 with practically the same performance. For reference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Alright that answers my question then! Thanks to the both of you :D 

Your welcome glad we could help, But you should have no problems what so ever with that monitor and card. Like ohyouknow said the resolution is going to bottleneck before the cpu even has the chance which it wouldn't anyways. But if you do want to save money I would get a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT Tahiti LE Edtion this is the card I have and it works AMAZING I have had no problems with it and I love it no lag not even on Bioshock infinite. But good luck with you choice :) 
!