Will adding a 2nd fan to the Hyper 212 evo be worth it?

lreyes66

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I just built my new I5 3570K rig last week and ordered a CM Hyper 212 Evo today to replace the stock cpu.

Im using the diablotek EVO mid-tower case I got from Micro center. I love the case, it even came with 4 120mm fans (2 on the top, one in the back and one in the front that lights up blue) that ive read reviews on actually said the fans are good and quiet.

I read that the hyper 212 evo will fit but "BEARLY" according to a google search. I have a msi hd 7870 (thinking about exchanging it for the powercooler tahiti version) that i hear runs hot on full load. I plan on overclocking the 7870 by a little as well as overclocking the CPU and maybe ram so my concern is that the temperature inside the case will get too hot.

With that, will adding a 2nd 120mm fan to the hyper 212 improve the air circulation and temperature of the case? Im thinking attaching the 2ndary fan to blow the same direction as cpu fan already on the heatsink. Im also worried that if i attach another fan it will making the tower more noisy.

So would it be worth it adding another fan or just save my money?

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Adding the second fan will probably notch off 1-3C. If that is worth it to you. It will add noise but that depends on the fan you choose. I'd probably not worry about it for now and save your money.

lreyes66

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I ended up picking up the antec tricool 120mm led fan more as cosmetic reason.

Should I plug it into the cpu fan or just manually control it?