How much will I really benefit from a new monitor?

gravatrax

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2012
Hello I am considering buying a new monitor here soon (an ASUS Asus VS248H-P 24-Inch) Unless someone else has a better suggestion. Currently I am using some Vizio Led TV, I do get awful screen tearing with it and even weird things where the screen has some wobbiliness to it don't know how to explain it, I know that screen tearing is par for the course pretty much (GTX 670) but I'm wondering how much of an upgrade a dedicated monitor will be.

http://store.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/e260mv.html

This is what I have now, a decent TV for any dorm room but I don't know I just get the feeling in the my stomach I might be benefit from something more purpose built, not to mention 27 inches is rather big considering how close im sitting to the TV.

Thank you!

This wobbliniss or w/e seems to particularly prevalent in far cry 3 (which indeed has some odd things going on with it graphically) when I do not have Vsync enabled

Screen tearing cannot be fixed using a monitor. Play with vsync enabled if you want to eliminate screen tearing.

That Asus monitor you picked is of the same resolution and aspect ratio as your TV, so your games and applications will not perform any differently. Having the same number of pixels on a smaller 24' screen means you will be looking at more crisp images especially if you are looking at it very closely. The Asus monitor has a 2ms response time meaning you might notice better responsiveness and less image ghosting you commonly see on a TV.

The monitor has had mostly good user reviews. However it has a rather small oval stand in relation to its total size and height, meaning the screen will wobble easily if you touch it or if your table shakes.

If you want a more striking improvement in image quality, I suggest you look at an IPS monitor, as they can produce much more beautiful (more) colors and has a much wider viewing angle than standard LCD panels. An IPS monitor will not have the ultra fast 2ms response times of the Asus VS248, but since you are changing from a TV, IPS response times of 5-8ms is still an improvement.

gravatrax

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2012
Well something smoother would also be ideal as well, that sounds interesting can you recommend any specifics?

Is there really a noticeable difference between having a 1-2ms refresh time then a 5-8ms time? Bearing in mind input lag as well. I should also note Im looking to spend under 250$ USD here

The difference in response times between a normal LCD and IPS panel is hardly noticeable unless you are into competitive gaming. Input lag for these kinds of monitors (built for consumers with gaming in mind) are very low and should not be of concern.

Have a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055
Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, 23", IPS, 8ms, 16:9 aspect ratio 1920x1080, swivel & height adjustable, US$230, good user ratings

gravatrax

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2012
Yeah I definitely don't do any sort of Pro Circuit gaming kind of a mix of everything, FPS, RTS, and RPGs

I was looking into this ASUS as well but it doesn't have as much room for viewing flexibility (not that huge of a deal)
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS239H-P-23-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B008DWITHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364563389&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+ips
I suppose this is fairly entry level

Will there ever become a day where Screen tearing and other anomalies may not be an issue? My mobo says it has that thing software (Virtu MVP) where you can do VSync while still not being locked to 60 fps, however from what I read the whole LucidLogix thing is a bit of a fluke. I have considered of recent of getting a second 670 and doing sli, but it'd be a shame to do that if Im still going to be locked to 60 fps at all times even if I never go below that. I use Vsync quite simply because I do notice the anomalies and it's obnoxious to look at, that being said anything over 75 fps for me I can't really tell the difference

Virtu MVP Virtual Vsync only works well with some games. My mobo (Gigabyte G1 Sniper m3) also came with Vurti MVP bundled, but I don't use it as it was too much of a hassle getting it to work with my games.

Anyway, do seriously consider getting an IPS monitor as the better color production and viewing angles far outweighs a few milliseconds of response time. As they say, 'Once you go IPS, you won't go back'

gravatrax

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2012
Alright so I just watched a few videos on the monitor. And they mentioned that it has a driver disk. what on earth does a monitor need software drivers for ?_?