AMD Attacking Cloud Gaming with Radeon Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Built-in recording/streaming solution: yes please.
Cool new software, TressFX, the Birds thingie: yes please!
Cloud gaming. GTFO.

That's just the way it is, i'm sorry.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]Is there is a big demand for cloud based games? or is this just all for not?[/citation]

Late 19th century:

"I want a faster horse. Not a damn horseless carriage you numbnut!"

On serious note, the only application I see for cloud gaming are for smartphones and tablets.

The question is, WILL the ISPs be ready for it? Considering the fact that a "true" broadband connection is unheard of in many areas in the US (Dial-up or satellite), and other areas have to put up with $9001 for a connection that MIGHT peak at 100 MB/s.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I still dont understand how people expect cloud gaming to take over---with even a GREAT internet connection, latencies vs a local computer rendering the game-should be terrible. I often wonder how PS3/Xbox owners play a FPS with a wireless controller and a wireless internet connection at the same time---this trend is taking latency to a whole other level entirely.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]I still dont understand how people expect cloud gaming to take over---with even a GREAT internet connection, latencies vs a local computer rendering the game-should be terrible.[/citation]

Not if you live in South Korea...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Note to writer: You do realise that "attacking" suggests aggression towards something?

Not investing in, helping, etc.

Man, the US needs to stop going to war, attacking is somehow percieved as being good for the attacked, now! :p

bmyton

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Latency will always be a killer. Even using Splashtop over an N wireless network introduces too much latency to play MMORPGs. FPS isn't even close.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
6 GB of GDDR5 memory (3 GB per GPU). It also has a 384-bit memory interface, a 480 GB/s memory bandwidth, and a TDP of 300 W.

Now I know where all the 7990's went...

I see this being much more useful if you were able to host and distribute your own mini cloud at home. I don't think cloud gaming en mass is commercially viable in the US with our data caps and broadband penetration (just ask OnLive.) Over a home network though, this could breath new life into an otherwise boring low end desktop, laptop or smart tv.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]I often wonder how PS3/Xbox owners play a FPS with a wireless controller and a wireless internet connection at the same time---this trend is taking latency to a whole other level entirely.[/citation]Learn something about wireless technology and networking.

When your talking about the speed any energy form travels 1ms is an eternity. Even the speed of sound travels 10 feet in 1ms, where as microwave (wifi) radiation travels 1,890 miles in 1ms (that's also the speed of light.)

The only reason ping times across the internet are not less than 12ms to cross the globe is the amount of processing time required to correctly route your packets, and signal loss that requires re-amplification.

The latency of your connection is directly proportional to the number of devices between you and your destination(90%), and to a much lesser extent the distance(9%) and type of network(1%).

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I picture this taking a while to catch on in north america and russia, but in places with tightly packed cities, high population centers and blisteringly fast internet speeds (europe, parts of asia) I can surely see this being a boon for gamers living from paycheck to paycheck without the means to drop on a 300 dollar card.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
If some day it seems like Cloud Computing will really take off, just be sure to stockpile some good spec gaming PC's, DVD games and other software while you can...

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
This is more about the next "brand" name for Radeon video cards than about gaming in the cloud.

Radeon numbering scheme hit 9800 long time ago. Then what? We got Radeon X900, and then X1900. Then it was HD 2900. Now we are at HD 7900. AMD is running out of numbers again. So the "HD"monikor will become "Sky" and we will recycle all the numbers...again.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Learn something about wireless technology and networking. When your talking about the speed any energy form travels 1ms is an eternity.[/citation]

Learn something about basic english. When your talking? Really?

hyperstalker

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Learn something about basic english. When your talking? Really?[/citation]
I'm glad out of his very informative post you pickup on a grammar mistake...

G

tried a cloud gaming demo on my computer with 6Mbytes/s wired connection and it still was no where near as good as the real thing

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]I still dont understand how people expect cloud gaming to take over---with even a GREAT internet connection, latencies vs a local computer rendering the game-should be terrible. I often wonder how PS3/Xbox owners play a FPS with a wireless controller and a wireless internet connection at the same time---this trend is taking latency to a whole other level entirely.[/citation]
wireless controller tech has come a long way since the 90s. latency on modern controllers is way too small to affect gameplay or to be noticed.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Note to writer: You do realise that "attacking" suggests aggression towards something?Not investing in, helping, etc.Man, the US needs to stop going to war, attacking is somehow percieved as being good for the attacked, now![/citation]

Yeah, very lame wording to use "attacking" like that...

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]hyperstalker[/nom]I'm glad out of his very informative post you pickup on a grammar mistake...[/citation]

I'm glad out of my very informative posts, you pickup on a valid grammar correction.
He was trying to correct someone else, so the least he can do is use "you're" properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.