The 'Blue' Version of Microsoft Office is 'Gemini'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yay. More Modern crap from MS. They might as well shut themselves down.

I mean, improving office for the touchscreen is good, improving mobile operating systems is good too, but sacrificing the majority of your user base...

My concern and fear is that MS is trying too hard too get everyone to switch to Metro. No one's trying this hard. Yes, Apple made OS X's desktop look like the iOS home screen. But then that still has icons! And Apple's hardware usually supports the software, so you have a gesture for switching between screens. But windows are still there! Core features are still there! And NOT HIDDEN AWAY IN THE NAME OF A MODERN MINIMALIST DESIGN THAT CONSISTS OF GIANT 8-BIT COLOUR RECTANGLES.

NOT TO MENTION THE [strike]BLUE[/strike] COULOURED SCREEN OF START.

nlreynolds80

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I've been a microsoft fan since Dos 3.2, successfully weathering and even cheering on many changes, but this big push for the modern UI (essentially touch UI) has me seriously concerned. Just keep pushing, Microsoft; you may well push me over the edge to Linux.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
MsDos was always crap... Didn't think anyone was an actual of it. If you have more than one pc, why nt try out Linux? Here is a tip. Go to LinuxMint.com get the mate version 64 bit. It's a 980mb download. Make the DVD. Boot with it to a live desktop. On of my computers is full time Linux, it had win8 on it.

You can change the themes in that Linux, I made the defaulted active windows a dark green, rather than gray. It found all my drivers and works.

hannibal

Distinguished
When I was looking in my crystall ball last year I was sure that win9 and win10 will use Modern UI in a little bit improved form, that would make desktop usage a little bit easier than it was in win8... It seems that I was wrong, at leat some point of it...

My new prediction is that win9 will hide the desktop mode completely and it will be available as an compability mode for win7 (like there now is compability mode for winXP and older osses). Win10 will be the first "real" Modern UI os that don't have desktop mode at all... It has some kind of strange logic in that kind of prediction. Win 8 is a in between hybrid between "old" desktop and apps based "Modern UI" (and not completely good in neither form, though not completely bad neither). And as soon as possible the MS will move to pure Modern UI environment. It would be kind of strange if Win8 would be remembered as the last OS that supported "the Good Ole desktop environment"... and win7 as the last pure Win desktop os.

But this is only crystall ball prediction and nothing like this can not happen... or can it?

Why this could happen?
The desctop idea was to simulate normal desktop, where you have papers, machine writer, pens and other tools. But like real life desktops, the virtual desktop was allso due to the mess. A lot of stuff mixed and very good posibility that something got missed in that space (because people are lazy and not everybody keeps his desktop clean and tidy). It was tryed to remedy by using startup windows, toolbars, meta folders etc. So the idea of desktop where you can find all that you need has been faded a way. Modern UI can be as an evolutionary step further away from desktop metafora. Does it happen, remains to be seeing, but it is one possible explanation why MS seems to be abandon the desktop enviroment with win8. They think that desktop is not needed anymore. Ofcource the mobile environment has caused huge shift to that direction in anyway.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Yay. More Modern crap from MS. They might as well shut themselves down.I mean, improving office for the touchscreen is good, improving mobile operating systems is good too, but sacrificing the majority of your user base...My concern and fear is that MS is trying too hard too get everyone to switch to Metro. No one's trying this hard. Yes, Apple made OS X's desktop look like the iOS home screen. But then that still has icons! And Apple's hardware usually supports the software, so you have a gesture for switching between screens. But windows are still there! Core features are still there! And NOT HIDDEN AWAY IN THE NAME OF A MODERN MINIMALIST DESIGN THAT CONSISTS OF GIANT 8-BIT COLOUR RECTANGLES.NOT TO MENTION THE BLUE COULOURED SCREEN OF START.[/citation]

ZzzZzzzz. Icons are still located on a square grid. While you and others moan and moan and MOAN on and on people are using this operating system without issue. PC World, today, was still full of people buying machines with Windows 8 and the world goes on.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]MsDos was always crap... Didn't think anyone was an actual of it. If you have more than one pc, why nt try out Linux? Here is a tip. Go to LinuxMint.com get the mate version 64 bit. It's a 980mb download. Make the DVD. Boot with it to a live desktop. On of my computers is full time Linux, it had win8 on it. You can change the themes in that Linux, I made the defaulted active windows a dark green, rather than gray. It found all my drivers and works.[/citation]
Quoting just to say this: rofl.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]runningnak3d[/nom]If I was a Microsoft shareholder I would be really pissed right now...[/citation]
I dunno their stock's been on the up in 2013...fell initially after 8. That's also a prob. If it fell like Apple's as a reaction to Win 8 then they'd get the message.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
There is speculation that W9 (or whatever the name will be) will surface around November 2014... if it's the same fail as W8, Debian here i come.

runningnak3d

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I'm torn between Ubuntu, LinuxMint, and OpenSuSE. They all have their drawbacks, but at least Linux will continue to have an effing desktop with real WINDOWING. I am seriously pissed at Microsoft. Took my favorite OS and just effing devastated it. Microsoft: I HAVE AN EFFING *DESKTOP* COMPUTER. NOT A TABLET. I DON'T WANT AN EFFING TABLET OS ON MY EFFING DESKTOP.

Well, essentially now it has been validated that MS is not moving back to a traditional desktop user interface we've had for two decades. I was hoping at the very least MS would have two versions of Blue, one for touch, one for desktop. I will not conform to the tablet/touch screen BS. I want my keyboard, I want my mouse, and I want my simple GUI, icons, windows, and straightforward directories.

While my Win7 gaming rigs and laptop will still be supported for several years, it's time to start thinking of learning Linux.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]runningnak3d[/nom]I'm torn between Ubuntu, LinuxMint, and OpenSuSE. They all have their drawbacks, but at least Linux will continue to have an effing desktop with real WINDOWING. I am seriously pissed at Microsoft. Took my favorite OS and just effing devastated it. Microsoft: I HAVE AN EFFING *DESKTOP* COMPUTER. NOT A TABLET. I DON'T WANT AN EFFING TABLET OS ON MY EFFING DESKTOP.[/citation]

They may have a desktop but if you saw what Ubuntu did with Unity..well, that's not pretty either - seems like they're also trying to bridge some imaginary gap.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]PC World, today, was still full of people buying machines with Windows 8 and the world goes on.[/citation]

Would you expect them to all of a sudden stop buying computers if they didn't like the latest version of Windows? Apart from Macs there is no alternative apart from building your own rig and installing your own OS (a tiny percentage of people do this). Just like with Vista people will suck it up and buy anyway. They don't see any other option and their old computers are old so they need to be replaced. Welcome to consumerism.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
i think it is because the majority of folk can't afford a real desktop anymore. The games market is flat with old tech. The power of the desktop is not be used power the latest and greatest games. They are being done on outdated consoles. That is all the consumers can afford.

i have said it before. When the middle class is shrinking you then shift your products for the business market and in that model they want it so they can completely control what you access. What software you can use. Big brother here we come. This interface then lets anyone walking past know what you are using. No more switcharoonie. They know what is loading up with a cursory glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.