Electrical tape on motherboard

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello guys i am fixing a pc for my not nerdy friend. The CPU was very hot 80 C not F so i chanced the cooling paste on the CPU. But Then when i needed to put the heatsink back on i saw that that a idiot had destroyed the two mounting holes and lost the screws so i tought about setting the heatsink on whit the other screws and some electrical tape to hold it Down i Can show a picture if you need it.

How can one destroy a hole? You should come up with a better solution than electrical tape as it can stretch and it isn't very heat resistant. Can't you solve the issue with a new HSF that includes all required mounting components?

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Well he hasn't destroyed the holes it is hard to explain but i am also suggesting a new heatsink. The tape was just a temporary fix until he get his new heatsink. ;) But i tried with the tape yesterday but saw that it was to stretchy. Do you have another idea to fix it temporarly? Sry for bad english i am from Denmark. :) and not very old.

You could try with tie wraps (if you can figure out how to install them to apply enough pressure on the HSF), but a new HSF is best. The HSF has to be tight; otherwise the processor will overheat and throttle or shutdown.

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah i know the processor will shut Down that was why he gave it to my. I have not been thinking about zip ties but it sounds like a good idea so i will give it a try. I am looking for a heatsink but i can't find the motherboard name anywhere on the motherboard other than it's a foxconn.

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah i have been thinking about that but since i cleaned yesterday i just was too lazy too do it again ;)

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

I just found out it's a AM2 socket and my dad maybe has some old pc from his job that just might have a AM2 socket

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Where is the best answer button?????

Erik-DK

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

mhh okay Well Can i Then change it???