Your question

Electrical tape on motherboard

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2013 2:48:36 PM

Hello guys i am fixing a pc for my not nerdy friend. The CPU was very hot 80 C not F so i chanced the cooling paste on the CPU. But Then when i needed to put the heatsink back on i saw that that a idiot had destroyed the two mounting holes and lost the screws so i tought about setting the heatsink on whit the other screws and some electrical tape to hold it Down i Can show a picture if you need it.

More about : electrical tape motherboard

a c 117 à CPUs
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 30, 2013 6:39:53 AM

How can one destroy a hole? You should come up with a better solution than electrical tape as it can stretch and it isn't very heat resistant. Can't you solve the issue with a new HSF that includes all required mounting components?
March 30, 2013 7:28:22 AM

GhislainG said:
How can one destroy a hole? You should come up with a better solution than electrical tape as it can stretch and it isn't very heat resistant. Can't you solve the issue with a new HSF that includes all required mounting components?

Well he hasn't destroyed the holes it is hard to explain but i am also suggesting a new heatsink. The tape was just a temporary fix until he get his new heatsink. ;)  But i tried with the tape yesterday but saw that it was to stretchy. Do you have another idea to fix it temporarly? Sry for bad english i am from Denmark. :)  and not very old.
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 30, 2013 10:22:11 AM

You could try with tie wraps (if you can figure out how to install them to apply enough pressure on the HSF), but a new HSF is best. The HSF has to be tight; otherwise the processor will overheat and throttle or shutdown.
March 30, 2013 12:20:42 PM

GhislainG said:
You could try with tie wraps (if you can figure out how to install them to apply enough pressure on the HSF), but a new HSF is best. The HSF has to be tight; otherwise the processor will overheat and throttle or shutdown.

Yeah i know the processor will shut Down that was why he gave it to my. I have not been thinking about zip ties but it sounds like a good idea so i will give it a try. I am looking for a heatsink but i can't find the motherboard name anywhere on the motherboard other than it's a foxconn.
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 30, 2013 2:10:54 PM

You could probably find the motherboard model with CPU-Z. If you know what CPU is installed, then it should be easy to determine what HSF is required.
March 31, 2013 12:26:02 AM

GhislainG said:
You could probably find the motherboard model with CPU-Z. If you know what CPU is installed, then it should be easy to determine what HSF is required.

Yeah i have been thinking about that but since i cleaned yesterday i just was too lazy too do it again ;) 
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 236 V Motherboard
March 31, 2013 6:15:10 AM

AMD or Intel CPU? What socket? That's all you need to know to determine the type of HSF; you also need to make sure that clearance is fine for the selected HSF.
March 31, 2013 2:27:35 PM

GhislainG said:
AMD or Intel CPU? What socket? That's all you need to know to determine the type of HSF; you also need to make sure that clearance is fine for the selected HSF.

I just found out it's a AM2 socket and my dad maybe has some old pc from his job that just might have a AM2 socket
April 1, 2013 1:14:37 PM

GhislainG said:

Where is the best answer button?????
a c 117 à CPUs
a c 236 V Motherboard
April 1, 2013 2:56:24 PM

I believe that you created a discussion and not a question. You'd have to change it to a question to select a best answer.
April 1, 2013 10:33:19 PM

GhislainG said:
I believe that you created a discussion and not a question. You'd have to change it to a question to select a best answer.

mhh okay Well Can i Then change it???
!