Help with new gaming PC build

Leper Khan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
I've been searching around on the internet and reading peoples suggested builds on several different websites and all of the information is tearing my brain apart. I was pretty sure I knew what I was going to build until today I saw post that said it really depends on what games you want to play to which graphics card BRAND to get. Now I was going to make an Intel based machine, mostly because that's what I'm used to and I've not heard the best reviews on AMD.
So, can someone help me with a build? My budget is about $1000. I can go up a few hundred but I'm not really looking to go lower than that. I'd like to go dual monitor because I have 2 40" TVs and I think that would be bad ass. However, if it'll require 2 graphics cards I'm really going to have to think about that. I'm really looking for some more top of the line ish, graphically, for this build.
Now, as far as the graphics card is concerned, I read that Hitman runs better on AMD while other games run better on Intel... Any input on that?
Other notes, I don't need a monitor or an OS worked in to the price. I'm thinking Windows 8 because I like to stay up on new software but if someone can give me a good enough reason, not, "It's bad!" I've read that too many times and it's not even a real answer. I want to know why it's so awful that I should stick with something that will soon be outdated.
More other notes, I would like to overclock this machine. But I know very little about this. If it will interfere with my ability to run certain programs I will stay clear of that option. I'm going to use the PC for gaming and software development programming. I'd like to start learning game programming but I'm not quite on that level yet so if a computer that will run these high end compilers is too far out of my budget I will just can that idea for now.
Oh, and I'm in the U.S. That's something people always ask on these forums.

Hmm based on what u need the machine to do and multi monitor gaming, with your budget you should zoom in on the meat and potatoes i.e a GPU/s beefy enuff to drive those displays for your games? The good news is today we have such powerful single GPU solutions that $1k is just about doable and the choice of GPU would be the 7970 Ghz edition - here are the benchmarks for 3 x 1080p display gaming
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/54954-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review-18.html

My suggestion (Non OC straight up beefy single GPU config) @ $970AR
u1_zps90642d43.jpg

Leper Khan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Then how about 2? I don't have the room to hook bot up at the moment but the plan is to have 2 1920x1080's hooked up to it. Does that seem more logical or should I just stick with the 7950?

Leper Khan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
7950 it is then lol I was really thinking on 2 screens would be cool after I saw a 3 screen setup but now that I'm seeing this 3 inch border around my TV I am thinking otherwise. Thanks again everyone.

Leper Khan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
Well, you're the expert. I'm going with The Troll's Build. I actually thought I had the same motherboard. And as much as I do like the fan control on the Phantom it might just be too big for where I'm putting it. Thanks again everybody!