Microsoft May Merge Windows RT into Windows Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

luissantos

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
MS' original goal was to have Win8 support both x86 and ARM. For the illiterate: that's a good thing.
The hate posts on this article are clear evidence of how moronic it has become to bash MS for pretty much everything just because they did not give you a Start button and a boot-to-Desktop option.

corbeau

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
My only fear with Windows RT is that because it is a closed platform, and it is only used for tablets, if Microsoft decides to end support (like Zune), then the device will be crippled. At this point in time, it seems logical to either go x86 or stick with android or IOS because support and software will be there.

freedquaker

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
The execution is horrible on the MS as usual. But beside that, There are 5 major problems:

a) They did not design an OS for the Tablets from the scratch but slapped an unintuitive tablet interface on a fully fledged desktop OS and simply waited for tablets to be strong enough to handle just the basic GUI. Even then the software execution, the lag times etc still bad (beside may other obvious things)

b) Microsoft = Windows & Office. So they wanted to keep the Windows Brand (without real windows in Metro!), and seemingly uniform although the code bases are largely different. Again the execution on so many grounds have been terrible, and the very idea of of uniformed platform (in a windows mindset with different code bases, and forced guis slapped on legacy interface) is just sickening.

c) They kept the prices artificially high for various reasons in a very price-sensitive market (unless you have a quality brand name like Apple), with an unproven, already outdated and ecosystem driven product.

d) The quality control is severely lacking. They have put an unduly significance on the quantity". People will either choose on "price" (too expensive), functionality (too limited compared to rivals due to the dearth of apps), or on quality (severely lacking due to Apple and even Android)

e) They buy those stuff for the software, and nowhere is seen any emphasis on it. The whole emphasis is on those gimmicky keyboard which are sold separately for a handsome amount of money! It's like putting a lot of emphasis on the "touch screen" when iphone first came out but shipping it without it, but charging extra for it. Just ridiculous!

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The plan from the get go was to merge as much of the update process as possible. So yeah, Win 8, Win RT and even WP8 will get a set of patches known as Blue.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Bah, I would much rather hear a word about fixing the abomination known as Windows Phone 8. As a user, I want my control back!

lp231

Splendid
All this Windows Blue talk about I don't understand any of it. Maybe it's because I don't give a damn or something?
I got Windows 8, besides no start button, there are other gripes with the OS.
1. Programs cannot create shortcuts to the desktop. It can only be pinned to the start screen or the taskbar. To create shortcut to the desktop, then you'll need to head over to the program location.
2. When pulling a USB flash drive, without using the eject function, sometimes it will cause windows to crash and then a error Windows to Go on USB will appear.
3. When using a picture password, the left hand pane (showing the user name and user picture) will cover the entire screen, preventing users from logging in.
4. Windows Update does not show notification while in desktop mode. When set to manual install, you'll need to head over to Windows Updates from time to time to see if you need updates or not. Previous OS will tell the user if there are updates to be installed or not.
5. At the log in screen, the message "Windows cannot install updates, please sign in to installed updates" is annoying. It sounds like the system has problems, while it's just Windows wanting to install updates. They should have say "Windows wants to install X amount of updates, please sign in to install updates" or a friendlier message.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]The plan from the get go was to merge as much of the update process as possible. So yeah, Win 8, Win RT and even WP8 will get a set of patches known as Blue.[/citation]

Yes, and I like it. Having the same OS on my pc, my tablet, my phone and soon my xbox (hopefully) is genius! Everything will be connected, and thats where teknology is going. Windows 8 is MS's (and the industris) first sted in this direction, and I think that all other companies could learn from it.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]luissantos[/nom]MS' original goal was to have Win8 support both x86 and ARM. For the illiterate: that's a good thing.The hate posts on this article are clear evidence of how moronic it has become to bash MS for pretty much everything just because they did not give you a Start button and a boot-to-Desktop option.[/citation]

It was clear before Windows 8 even had the consumer preview up. I find it's best to just ignore people.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]nikolajj[/nom]Yes, and I like it. Having the same OS on my pc, my tablet, my phone and soon my xbox (hopefully) is genius! Everything will be connected, and thats where teknology is going. Windows 8 is MS's (and the industris) first sted in this direction, and I think that all other companies could learn from it.[/citation]

It's obvious that they were trying to consolidate, and I think it's genius as well. In the long run I believe it will pay off.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]nikolajj[/nom]Yes, and I like it. Having the same OS on my pc, my tablet, my phone and soon my xbox (hopefully) is genius! Everything will be connected, and thats where teknology is going. Windows 8 is MS's (and the industris) first sted in this direction, and I think that all other companies could learn from it.[/citation]

Yes, let's all get voluntary vendor lock-in.

Thankfully, Microsoft's new OS and accompanying products are bombing all over the place, so this is basically their last gasp.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Instead of RT, why not call it like "Windows Tablet 8" or "WinTab 8". I mean, honestly that RT stuff doesn't mean anything to the average joe. They just think RT is a ''special'' windows 8 and it is misleading. At least Apple had the balls to put iOS the iPad instead of calling it "OSX Mini".

felix666

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Déjà vu! Anyone remembers those micro laptops made in the late 90's? They were running Windows CE. It looked like you had Windows on a micro machine. The consumer version if this OS has been orphanized quickly, leaving the customers with machines that gathered dust because of no support. CE became a part of what is called Embedded Windows. The story seems to repeat. Will RT take the same route? What will happen to all these tablets and to those customers who trusted Microsoft?

AndroidWon

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
killerclick = dumb apple itard

You are thanful microsoft is bombing? Let me guess, you are an apple itard who wants apple to be the only company? You my dumb friend are what people call a brainwashed consumer. YOu are almost as dumb as otacon or ericburnby.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]AndroidWon[/nom]killerclick = dumb apple itardYou are thanful microsoft is bombing? Let me guess, you are an apple itard who wants apple to be the only company? You my dumb friend are what people call a brainwashed consumer. YOu are almost as dumb as otacon or ericburnby.[/citation]
the thinking adult doesn't defend a corporation (microsoft) who builds into an operating system TOS (windows 8) the right for that corporation (Microsoft) to spy on people's hard drives, upload the contents of that search to servers at corporation headquarters, and then remotely initiate delete commands that wipe programs from people's computers (those running windows 8) at their whimsy. that bull$hit in un--acceptable and no educated adult of any vision would defend a future where computing heads in such a direction.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/store-terms-of-use

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]luissantos[/nom]MS' original goal was to have Win8 support both x86 and ARM. For the illiterate: that's a good thing.The hate posts on this article are clear evidence of how moronic it has become to bash MS for pretty much everything just because they did not give you a Start button and a boot-to-Desktop option.[/citation]
Whoa whoa whoa, I've seen a lot of straw man attacks in my life, but boy oh boy your sooooooo deserve title of the lamest.

You are saying that bashing MS for x86 apps not working on ARM is because of start button, even though MS planned and few times their PR teams kind of stated it as fact that x86 apps will work on ARM? Even though people are bashing apps support you think it's still about start button?! Dude do you button your own shirt or someone more smart than you does it for you?

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]All this Windows Blue talk about I don't understand any of it. Maybe it's because I don't give a damn or something?[/citation]
Most likely is service pack, though some people speculate it is new version, which most likely will solve none of your problems

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]AndroidWon[/nom]killerclick = dumb apple itardYou are thanful microsoft is bombing? Let me guess, you are an apple itard who wants apple to be the only company? You my dumb friend are what people call a brainwashed consumer. YOu are almost as dumb as otacon or ericburnby.[/citation]

I've never owned an Apple product, and it's in fact Apple-type people (latent iTards) like you who like what Microsoft is doing now. You secretly want Microsoft to be just like Apple, only with a different name and logo. Me? I'll be using Windows 7 until 2020 or until Microsoft comes to their senses, separates the mobile and desktop OS, and stops trying to push everyone into their touch-centric walled garden.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Aoyagi[/nom]Bah, I would much rather hear a word about fixing the abomination known as Windows Phone 8. As a user, I want my control back![/citation]Are you looking for a command line interface or something? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS