Amd Richland vs Kaveri APU?

gert21445

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hi guys, I'm currently looking to buy a new laptop for work (I'll most likely be getting it over the summer), and I was wondering if AMD's Kaveri APU will be out by then or if I should just get the Richland APUs that were announced a few weeks ago. My budget is around $600 CAD, and I'd prefer one with decent graphics processing capabilities (so Intel + NVIDIA would be too expensive). I've heard that Richland doesn't bring too much of a performance boost from Trinity (because it's basically the same archetecture given a clock increase), while Kaveri is supposed to give a 50-100% increase from Richland, and support GDDR5 memory on-chip.

What do you guys think? Should I go for a Richland-based laptop (if Kaveri is not out by Sepember), or should I wait a few more months and grab a Kaveri APU?
Thanks for all your suggestions =D!

8350rocks

Distinguished
Top of the line Richland mobile solution is going to be about 20-40% increase over trinity since they are implementing GCN GPU cores into the architecture, plus improving internal data efficiency and using PD cores.

Richland will be out in full force by July-August...Kaveri is looking more and more like it will likely be Q1-Q2 2014 at this point, unless Richland is a short cycle...

If you can hold out, I would say buy Kaveri, it will be SR architecture and a small die shrink. If not, Richland is going to be a big improvement over Trinity.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

No, richland is a trinity chip with improved bios and power optimizations (it can actually use turbo boost). There are no gcn cores. There will be a bigger boost for mobile richland than desktop richland. This boost will not be anything like 20-40% but probably closer to 10-20% (it really is nothing more than a speed bump). I'm not sure but you can probably get an i5 + 7730m which will be far better than any apu for ~600 (might be a little more).

8350rocks

Distinguished

Dated January 29, 2013 from Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Richland-APU-iGPU-Clock-Speeds-Specs,20748.html

Note where it says: "Richland will include the new HD8000 series graphics on the GCN architecture..."

Richland APU > i5

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Does it have to be a laptop? Last I heard, Kaveri will see desktop first if you really want Kaveri over Richland.
These parts will be desktop at first and will transition to mobile in 2014. AMD wants (and needs) to get these parts out in a timely manner, and they are pulling in the launch as much as possible. Hence the desktop first release while they refine production to be able to adequately address the mobile space. Achieving good bins and yields at the higher TDP is easier than trying to hit those numbers for a 35 watt and below product line.
-http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Shows-and-Expos/AMD-CES-2013-Temash-Kabini-and-Kaveri-side-Sea-Islands

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

No, that was a rumour, look at any news article in the last month or so and you will clearly see than richland is not using gcn.

a10-5800k is similar to an i3 in performance. i5 is substantially greater, richland will not get anywhere near an i5.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Yes you might end up waiting a long time until Kaveri comes out in laptops. I would probably jump on a laptop right away were I in your position. However, you would want the A10~8 Variant on the Laptop. And hypothetically if you were to see 2 A10~8 laptops with a Trinity and a Richland inside. I would say pay less for the Trinity variant since the difference in performance isn't drastic. Good Luck.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Kaveri will be available just before Christmas. It will give a huge graphics boost and application boost. I would wait, if you can manage, another 6 months.

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

The curiosity nearly jumps my heart out of my mouth. Richland let me down, 'cause it doesn't combine a GCN Architecture GPU, which makes it just like an high-clocked version of Trinity. I always wonder if some of the rumors were true, says on-chip GDDR5 memory or Crossfire with an existing GCN discrete card like HD 7700 series.

But turned again to the problem @gert21445 has. In Canada $600 couldn't buy a laptop which has a decent graphic. (Most of all just has a APU without a discrete graphic card to crossfire with or has a i5 CPU but pair with a weak graphic card like Nvidia 610M/620M ). And don't forget the tax. Dispite of 13% of tax, actually u should seek a laptop priced only around $500. If u don't mind, just get a ivy i3 laptop and get with it.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
If you can't wait til January when the laptops with Kaveri come out, A high end Richland laptop with an A10-6800 or A10 6700 would be equal to some far more expensive Intel-Nvidia laptops. Kaveri is going to be something. Sorry it is too much of a wait.

8350rocks

Distinguished

How many laptops for $600 have GT3e graphics again? That's right...no laptops have GT3e graphics because they're more expensive than a discrete GPU and are far worse...

Meanwhile a boatload of $600 laptops have Richland in them...

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
HD 4600 is very close to amd's top mobile offerings at the moment. a10-5750m is maybe on average 10% ahead (look at the AT reviews of the HD 4600 in the 4770k and subtract about 20% for lower clocks). HD 4000 is weaker than a10 by about 30-35% and within about 10% of a8.

Recommendations (Kaveri probably won't be out for quite some time, not till 2014 at the earliest given that richland is still launching, trinity is very common and if kaveri follows richland it won't actually be here for several months after it starts shipping; supposedly in december 2013- expect it to be available in march).

With the launch of the ps4/xbox one I don't feel comfortable recommending anything less than a 8750m/640m

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215683

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314127CVF

Bit over budget

rshcwartz

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
I have seen reviews and I have tinkered with several computers. No computer fully utilizes the max of cpu. A friend of mine has utilized the AMD FX core and the settings have to be turned down for the darn games to keep up only improvement I notice with FM2+ socket is the utilization of PCIe 3.0 would it be worth waiting probably. AM I waiting no. I can tell you Richland would be fine. If you want the newer cards that Kaveri will utilize wait. If you are serious about gaming I can tell you now the current APUs support them well at high (30- 45) frames with the HD6670 card. I am sure the Richland will do better. Kaveri is questionable. Kaveri may have a higher price that does not speak for the core. Of course AMD has impressed me with its power of the the older cores working with big graphics card. My step dad has hp all in one with Anthlons running at 2.7 its gaming capabilities especially mmo I can't bat an eye at.