AS Rock z77 - starts and reboots instantly - debug code 10

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I'm trying to figure out which piece of hardware in my computer is faulty. Here is story:
I tried to SLI two geforce 560 on my 650 watt PSU. This did not work, when I tried to boot, my computer would not turn on, PSU would not turn on either. So I removed the 2nd 560 and SLI cable. Then my computer booted, but I had no video...still stumped

I tried the 2nd 560 alone in my PC and that would cause my computer to not boot either at all...weird. However that 560 works fine in my old PC.

So I ended up buying a new motherboard...a AS Rock z77, since this was my best guess of what could be wrong. Now my PC will start but reboots after 5 seconds, in an infinite loop.

Debug code 10 is "PEI core has started"

I have gone through all the basic sanity checks, such as CPU and MOBO powered correctly. Tried swapping ram, only using one at the moment. Not using a GPU whatsoever, just testing using onboard and only sata for SSD with OS plugged in.

So, my best guess now is that it's either the CPU or the power supply, and I'm leaning towards the CPU. If a power supply starts the computer, and then reboots, is this a sign the PSU is faulty...I don't think so, but not sure. I also tested it with a paper clip, but no fan...The PSU fan would start.

Also does anyone have any insight of what code 10 could mean?

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

No luck. I took off the heatsink and fan, then the CPU. Double check it was inserted properly, took it out and kept it the correct way.

I use DDR3 1600 RAM, which I am fairly certain is compatible. See here : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

I think I agree with you. The CPU fan does try to spin up on start, but never really gets going. It's probably due to the PC restarting so quickly.

I have a new CPU coming in the mail on Tuesday, I will update this thread then. If anyone else has any suggestions though feel free. Thanks.

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Is there a possibility it could be my RAM?

Here is the compatibility list for my motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4

I have F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL , if you look on that list there is an entry for F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL . The only difference is the last 3 letters...BRL to BXL. Does that difference even matter, in terms of compatibility. I don't know what the difference is, should I be concerned?

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Thank you for checking on gskill, I was trying to do that but was having browser issues with using their tool.

No the CPU comes in tomorrow, I'm just nervous that isn't the issue and don't want to be wasting $300 by opening it. So I'm looking into every other possibility first. But like you said all signs point to CPU, so I will update here when I try it.

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

That's actually a really good idea. If I could have a PC shop try their own CPU to see if it worked. I'd imagine that would be much cheaper than opening my brand new i7 and hoping for the best. I'm trying to contact a local shop now.

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

I thought to try booting my PC without any RAM at all. When I did this the computer did NOT reboot after 3 seconds. Instead, as expected it stayed on error code 53 which is "No usable memory detected" I think this is a good sign and I can safely rule out the PSU.

My question is, how about CPU? Can I rule that is not the problem. I actually went ahead and bought the cheapest chipset 1155 I could find, that will be in tomorrow. I have the $300 i7 setting next to me too, but I really want to wait before opening that. Is it really my RAM that is the problem. I emailed gskill and they said my RAM is definitely compatible with the z77 extreme 4. This RAM was working fine 4 days ago on my old mother board too.

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I've made great progress, and sorry for keep dumping my problems on you.

I installed the cheap Intel G53 CPU. The computer started! However, when it tries to boot to Windows it goes to the Windows Recovery menu. If I select "Start Windows normally" it blue screens (less than a second, can't read it") and then reboots, going back to that menu
If I select the repair option, it attempts to repair, finds no problems and then forces me to shut down. Restarting brings me back to the menu. I also tried to system restore to the day where it worked correctly, but no luck.

I tried using only 1 stick of RAM, and using all 4. As well as using onboard graphics and my 560 video card.

Do you have any idea what piece of hardware could be causing this to happen?

Jerron St Armand

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Thank you for the help. I have solved all my problems and up and running again.

Summary: If your z77 extreme 4 board is in an infinite reboot loop, displaying an error code of 10 "PEI Core has started"...you have a bad CPU. At least for me it was, once I installed my new CPU, I booted up without any problems.

As for the Windows issue, that was expected since I was on a new system trying to load up Windows. I used this at the command line "DISM /Image:C:\ /Add-Driver /driver D:\:/recurse" (from Recovery advanced options). This installed the drivers necessary to get windows running.

TRENDING THREADS