Dropped Seagate Hard Drive Won't Recognize Now

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
To cut to problem, I had my external hard drive hooked to my laptop last night, and I ended up not using it. But this afternoon on my couch, I reached and grabbed my laptop from my desk, and my chair blocked my vision, and I lifted my laptop to my chest area.

The hard drive was turned on and hooked to the laptop and fell about 3 feet to the bottom level floor, which has cement under the carpeting, plus the usb was unplugged in the process. My computer recognizes that a USB hard drive is attached in the devices and printers section under the unspecified tab, but when I troubleshoot it tries to obtain the driver but it just can't do it.

I could only find info on others cases, but my unique situation has this:
-The hard drive will power up
-The hard drive lights do not turn on, except a white light when it first boots, just not the yellow and green type lights that turn on when its active.
-My desktop picks up on the usb device but can't install the drivers
-It seems to start up normal, but then I get a low level humming noise, slightly louder than the normal hum
-Then it will make a couple beeps and stop making the hum after like 20-30 seconds, almost like its the noise letting me know its gonna stop itself
-In devices and printers it first shows up in upspecified, but after troubleshooting for the drivers, and fails, it then has a caution sign on the drive logo.

I am just debating on a course of action. I want to get some data off of it, but I am more concerned with it working again, cause the damn thing costs over half of what my laptop did, and has stuff on it that isn't replaceable likes pics and videos. I am hoping its just the caseing cause I don't mind opening it and just installing it in my desktop.

My best guess, there is a corrupted file that is in the loading process that got damaged when it was unplugged and then hit. I am just wondering which is worst, the fall or the unplugging while its on and hooked up.