Random restarts, No BSOD, No errors/messages in event viewer. Don't know where to start.

fervidsea

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Please move if I have posted in the wrong section.

Hello, looking for some experienced advice on where to go for my problem. First my sepcs:

I5-3570k 3.4
ARCTIC Freezer i30 / COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB
CORSAIR HX Series HX750
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
Triple 24" monitors

It start a few months ago building a new computer. I was having the random graphics driver failure message, black flickering screen etc. I sets my clocks back to standard. Monitored temps. Tried TDR regedits. Nothing was working.

I tested the PSU ensuring that I was getting stable voltages, nothing I could see was wrong. Re-seated all components. Updated drivers, old drivers, beta drivers nothing. Running only one screen vs. triple.

I swapped my 670 with my sons 580 and he had no issues with the card for days running with a 550 psu and I didn't with the 580 either. I switched everything back and I began to have the issues again.

In my bios settings I set the PCIe slot to (gen2) from Gen3 and I didnt have any issues for a few weeks and I decided to purchase a new motherboard, the ASRock Z77.

I no longer have any driver issues, everything runs smooth benchmarks well. Still no OCs, but now I have random restarts, no BSODs. Just like you hit the restart button, getting the windows didn't shut down properly message upon restart, and that's the only thing in the event viewer as well.

I reset all bios options. Again no OCs. No overheating. Ensured my ram timings were correct. Ensured everything was tight and snug in the slots and all power connections seated.

Its completely random. Sometimes it will happen when I first start the computer. Other times while I'm gaming, watching videos, browsing the web. I tried to download 2 games at once and it did it as well. I will leave the system on overnight and in the morning its back at the user log in screen as it had shut down.

I will stop rambling now. If you need any more info just ask. I'm not tech swavy but more like fumble my way through.

Thanks

Running W7 i forgot to add. All updates done.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Firstly, black flickering on the screen might infer that the resolution set on the monitor from a previous Pc setup was less than 800 x 600, the resolution being less than the accepted level much like a "no signal" message. Also, if the monitors are square and not rectangular then their resolutions are rather limited to 3 settings as high as 1440 x 900 and if the settings prior to that was much higher then that also result in the current situation as being out of range.

Next, they call me Mister Fumble behind my back.

Are using 32 or 64 bit Os for your Windows 7 OS.

Also, do you leave any external devices attached prior to booting and shut down?

Edit -
Yes, I'm editing my fumbles right now!

fervidsea

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Thank you for the reply. I have no external devices connected besides keyboard mouse and speakers. I'm using 64bit W7 atm. I did a re install at the time of the motherboard swap, as well as drivers. My current resolution is set for native on all three monitors when I use them. However the graphics driver crash, currently is not my problem.

I no longer have any driver issues, everything runs smooth benchmarks well. Still no OCs, but now I have random restarts, no BSODs. Just like you hit the restart button, getting the windows didn't shut down properly message upon restart, and that's the only thing in the event viewer as well.

I reset all bios options. Again no OCs. No overheating. Ensured my ram timings were correct. Ensured everything was tight and snug in the slots and all power connections seated.

Its completely random. Sometimes it will happen when I first start the computer. Other times while I'm gaming, watching videos, browsing the web. I tried to download 2 games at once and it did it as well. I will leave the system on overnight and in the morning its back at the user log in screen as it had shut down.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
How much free space is on the OS hdd?

You might want to try the Run Command with
CHKDSK /F
The message will ask you to restart, do so, the system chack should only take a minute but if it takes more than 5 minutes, your hdd is possibly failing.

It's actually impossible to download 2 games at once, you have to do them one after the other...