Microsoft VP: We're Not Giving Up on Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The Black Knight in Monty Python & the Quest for the Holy Grail comes to mind.
"Let's say you drop that PC in a pool. Well, you get a new one and then you just redownload [the apps]," he said. "That's the kind of model people are used to with a phone or tablet today. I can maintain all the apps in the [Microsoft] store and reset with a single switch."
So make it look like Windows on x86 but have it behave like Windows Phone. Why not just use Windows Phone on an ARM tablet?

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Mr. MS VP, If you want to right this win 8 debacle and mess you put your self in, take a page out of Apples's book. Win RT for Phone and Tablets.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
They don't need to give up on RT, they need to give up on Metro as a viable desktop interface. Hovering my mouse in corners to access more options is by far the most annoying thing in the world that Ill never get used to. Ignorant.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
With legacy software, consumers are typically locked with one license to one device.

Like Office right? These is the only piece of non-OEM software I know of that had this type of arcane license.

But Microsoft has dumped a lot of time and money into bringing Windows 8 onto ARM-based chips. There's simply no way in hell Microsoft is going to take the HP route and give up after months on the market.

Wouldn't be the first or last time Microsoft dumped an expensive product after heavily investing in it, which I don't think they spent as much as they're saying, they just ported the HAL and drivers. Think Flight, Bob, Windows Mobile, etc.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I think it's fine if that MS is trying to compete in the ARM market, but when there are already two well established product echosystems and you are introducing a third, you better make that new product amazing or cheap. RT is neither.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Who cares, Windows RT and Metro are irrelevant. 97% of users have not upgraded to Windows 8 even after five months, Xmas shopping and huge upgrade discounts. All Windows tablets are commercial flops, as is Windows Phone.

Microsoft needs to listen to their customers - 97% of them are rejecting their new paradigm, and those that actually like Metro are an extreme minority, and they should be aware of that.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]I take it no one here has actually owned or used an RT tabletId much rather a fully functional RT tablet then an Ipad or Android toy, i can actually use an RT tablet for proper work[/citation]

Good for you, but you are in the minority. Enjoy your niche device.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Good for you, but you are in the minority. Enjoy your niche device.[/citation]

Agreed, I hate Apple but I'm typing this on an iPad because it WORKS >.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I remember seeing that Start button for the first time and thinking how clean an interface the new Windows 95 was in comparison to the old Windows 3.1. Now, I'm looking at how messy Windows RT/8 is and I can't help but to think it's a "polished" looking version of Windows 3.1 Having that Start button there was nice, because you didn't immediately see everything installed. Windows 3.1/Windows RT/8 basically look like your computer barfed up everything that's in it when you boot it up. No one likes the look of barf.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I have 4 xp keys and of course several current win7 lic. For which to get in8 for $40. Hell, even t preview version = $40 legit "upgrade". I installed win 8 preview on my notebook, it now only runs LinuxMint. I did not waste $40 to buy something I wouldnt install for free on computers.
Since the release of win8, I've built only win7 64 bit on everything.

There really isn't much an RT can do over an iPad or android device. My phone is android 4.2x and i Typed this whoe response from my iPad.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]I take it no one here has actually owned or used an RT tabletId much rather a fully functional RT tablet then an Ipad or Android toy, i can actually use an RT tablet for proper work[/citation]
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Good for you, but you are in the minority. Enjoy your niche device.[/citation]

Well, that IS the only problem with Windows RT (and pro). Its new, so people dont understand it and they dont wanna try to. Like people are with most changes (Facebook knows thes). All the new Windows products are great, but they just lack the user base, nothing more.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the bigger issue with Windows RT is that its separate from Windows Phone. It really does not make sense to have 3 distinct OS. There are obviously cosmetic differences between a tablet and a phone, but there should be no reason to limit development resources.
I think the other problem with Windows RT is that its more of a toy than a tool. Since there are Windows 8 tablets, there is no reason to redevelop software for Windows RT despite the products being significantly cheaper. Windows first made itself out as a tool that was easier to learn for office workers than what was out at the time. If all you could do was game on Windows originally, it probably would not have been so successful.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
As for running legacy software on the ARM-based Windows RT, he suggests that consumers need to rethink about their software library in the long run.
Let me paraphrase this:
"You're too stupid to know what software you need to run."

jakantana

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Look back in 1992-1996: Microsoft had Windows-NT (the origin of W2000, XP, Vista, 7, 2003, 2008, and now W8 + 2012...) running on MIPS, PowerPC, Alpha and x86. Once Intel fixed their raw performance issue MS stopped all versions except x86.
Guess what: Intel is fighting hard day and night to fix their x86 energy efficiency issue... What Will happen when a 2~5 Watts dual-core x86 will be available --> bye-bye ARM support --> don't buy RT !

Status
Not open for further replies.