Is 90 C too high temperature for i7 3632qm ?

Marko Tanic

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Hi,

I bought a new laptop a month ago (HP Pavillion g6 2240em http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03540741&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5319678). I installed Open Hardware Monitor just to monitor the clock of my Radeon GPU, but the CPU temperature really caught my attention.

CPU temperature is around 45-55 C when idle on "Balanced" power plan, around 60-65 when loaded about 20 %, but when loaded more, for example when gamimg, temperature goes way up. It was almost all the time in the upper 80s when playing Battlefield 3, and some cores went into the lower 90s at moments.

I'm wondering if this is normal. From my experience, 90 degrees C is absolutely too much for any CPU, but again, I've read that Ivy Bridge CPUs are usually hotter than other CPUs and they have maximum operating temperature of 105 C.

What do you think about this? Is there anyone with this CPU with similar issues?

I have verified these temperatures with Core Temp, so I don't believe those high readings are because of software...

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
well if you mean celsius its a bit high but it may be normal as its a laptop!be careful not to block the air flowating areas of the lapton and put it on cool patterns!download speedfan which is a bit more accurate!

Marko Tanic

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded SpeedFan, it shows the same results.

I always keep my laptop on hard and clean surfaces (I never put it on my lap or on the bed), so the air flow is not disrupted. I hope someone with experience on this particular cpu or this particular laptop shows up and share their experiences.

Oh, one more update, when really idle, temperatures are more like 40 - 45 Celsius with peaks up to 50.

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
because my experience with laptops isnt really big i would recommend you to take advise from where you bought the laptop or the manufacturer(in case you get no solution from here)

Unfortunately, that is more or less the "accepted norm". I've read many professionally written laptop reviews where the CPU temp reached or exceed 90C+. The most reviewers simply shrug it off and state that despite the "warm" temps, the laptop remained stable even after a couple / few hours of playing games.

Sadly, my Lenovo Y470 is one of those laptops that happens to hit 90C+ when playing games (it seems to be the consistent temp for the Y470 amongst many owners). You can try a laptop cooler which may or may not work. Such a cooler does not work for the Y470 because the underside of the laptop is designed to transfer as little heat as possible. The only vents are for the fan intakes and the air inflow can only be increased by increasing the speed of the fans. Thus, a cooling pad is useless for the Y470.

I reduce the CPU temps by disabling Turbo Boost so that the CPU never goes beyond standard speed. The is done in the Advanced Power Options. Simply go to the "CPU / Processor Performance section" and set the max performance to 99%. That will disable Turbo Boost and hopefully your CPU temps will max out in the low 80's.

Marko Tanic

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks for the reply, jaguarskx. Looks like the manufacturers realize that their laptops are quite hot, but go with that and choose quietness over coolness, at least in my case. This is probably the most quiet laptop I ever had.

Now, a little update: I ran PassMark Burn-in test to really determine what type of loads heat my CPU to 90+. It turns out that my laptop is perfectly able to cool the CPU even on max loads and max turbo boost frequency as long as the GPU is not running. My temperatures while doing the test went to low 80s and then (when supposedly fan increases its speed to maximum) they drop to 70s. But, when I ran the CPU test simultaneously with GPU test, loading my GPU only to about 50% and heating it up to 50-60 degrees, CPU temps exceeded 90 degrees. It seems that my laptop is unable to cool itself when really pushed to the max.

My conclusion is that HP (and other manufacturers as well) simply consider that their laptops are almost never used for both CPU and GPU demanding applications (which is actually true). Games are GPU demanding, but don't put too much load on CPU and CPU can handle them really well even without turbo boost. On the other side, if you are using some really demanding CPU programs, you will most likely not put any load on your GPU (I really cannot imagine an application that can really put 100% load on a quad core i7, maybe some sort of a scientific simulation, if you use your laptop for scientific purposes).

I also thought about disabling turbo boost, that way I will have much cooler CPU without any real impact on gaming performance. I will also try to contact HP just to see what they might say about this, because I'm worried about my laptop a bit.

Molle

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hi everyone here!

I want to add:

My Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad E530 with i7 3632qm also gets in the temp region that you here have observed. I see similiar results monitored in Open HM: Up to max 90 oC and typically 75 oC att load of ca 30-40%. The fans dosnt go to highest speed so the thermal controlsettings seem to accept it. And the computer dosnt trottle, adaptive thermal negative control in processors, dosnt set in and slow down, as far as i can see.

I have another problem (and many with me). My fan is pulsing beetween 2 speedrates. staying appr 2 sec at each.That is, it is all the time going up-down-up-down... in speedrate. Very annoying. If yo have Lenovo this is discussed in another forum (search for : Pusling fan Lenovo thinkpad).

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Wow, thats nicer than my old laptop (which was a dell).

CPU and motherboard went to 95 degrees when playing skyrim.
GW2 caused temps of 98, cpu throttling to 1.2 ghz.

i7-3630m and 525m.

Complete garbage.

Molle

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
The i7-3630qm (or do you mean i7-3630m without Q) is a 45 w i think and i7-3632qm is 35 w. It think the extra watts was intended to give more speed, but not if it gets to hot though. In the development of proccessors the effekt will go down at a speed that doesnt intrude too much on the speed :).