Unlocked AMD 960T on 140W motherboard?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm considering buying a used Phenom II x4 960T. The present owner says that it's stable unlocked to 6 cores. His CPU-Z screenshot IDs it as an "AMD Phenom II X6 1605T" running at 4x800 MHz with 1.344V.

It also gives a max TDP of 161W. Should I worry about running this CPU on an Asus M5A88-M mobo (rated for 140W) which I already have? Thanks in advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Since the Phenom II X6 1605T is a Thuban with 2 cores disabled, it would be a 125W processor. So either CPU-Z isn't reading correctly, or the processor isn't reporting correctly due to it being unlocked. Or perhaps that was why it was partially disabled into a quad core; the disabled cores drew too much current. (Actually, TDP is thermal design power. The amount of energy the cooling system must dissipate)

The previous owner didn't experience any issues with his board. And I think a 140W AMD AM3 board is about the max made anyway.

Cpu-Z isn't reporting the power in use, just the "specs" as presented by the processor. CPU-Z shows my Athlon II X4 as a 95W TDP, but it is only idling at 800MHZ. Not drawing anywhere near that at the time of display.
Myself, I'd probably go for it with no worries.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks. I'll be paying the equivalent of about US $100 shipped. Adjusted for local market conditions, that would be roughly like buying it for $80-90 in the US.

I'm also getting a used XFX 850W BE which you also seem to be using. It's the older 80+ Silver version and it's costing me ~$80 shipped (adjusted ~$65-70). I'm not really a gamer and 850W is way more power than I need now, but will leave plenty of headroom for future requirements.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like a pretty good deal. 6 core Phenoms are demanding a premium price for their age. I just recently sold my phenom II X6 1090T on ebay for slightly more than I paid for it new. That was one of the coolest running Phenoms I ever owned. Kinda hated to give it up.

Yes, my XFX 850W Black Edition has been very dependable through several CF and SLI combinations over the years. It was the one they used to sell with the florescent green accent on dark grey. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=165
Is that the one you are getting?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
That's the one, and it's that review plus other equally positive reviews that convinced me that it would be a good buy. Good efficiency, ripple and regulation figures.

On the subject of 6-core Phenom IIs, I made what I now consider to be a bad judgment call not long ago. There was this fellow in a forum trying to sell his 1100T with a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 as a combo. He claimed that the CPU was a sealed new piece and that the mobo was a new one given to him by Gigabyte service after a big row over warranty issues. I found out later that he'd opened a thread about the runaround Gigabyte gave him and they gave in only after he publicized the story on Facebook.

He asked for ~$240 which I negotiated down to $210. What held me back was that he didn't want to give a personal testing warranty, saying that both products were still within company warranty. (I live in a remote corner of a country where I've had many frustrating experiences dealing with companies from a distance). After thinking long and hard about it (he'd been trying to sell it for almost a month), I decided to take a risk and buy it. But he'd just sold it a couple of days earlier.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ya' snooze, ya' loose, huh?
I've been on the opposite side of that equation a few times. I always get tired of something, sell it, then months/years later wish I still had it.

Have you decided to go for the 960T?