Backing up RAID 0 array to RAID 0 array or RAID 5 backed up to the cloud

chrisnathan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I'm planning a new build in a Node 304 so I've got space for 4 HDDs after installing the GPU. One of which is my SSD boot drive. So I've got 2 options for storage. One of which is using the onboard RAID controller to create a RAID 5 array but I would like to know if the read/write speeds would be less than that of a single drive (I'm going to use P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard). I would be backing that up to the cloud.

Or the other option is having a RAID 0 array in the Node 304 and backing that up to a RAID 0 in an external enclosure.

What do you guys suggest?

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
The solution depend on on other factors, such as how much local storage do you need available? RAID performance is highly dependent on your hardware, however RAID5 should give better read performance than a single drive. If you are using recent sized disk, a 4 disks RAID5 array is a lot of data to backup to the cloud.

The other alternative would be RAID0 in the Node 304 and RAID1 in an external enclosure.

chrisnathan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

I'm thinking 6TB or so. I'm planning on using livedrive so I've got an unlimited amount of cloud storage and no throttling of my bandwidth.

I thought of that but having a RAID 1 array of 6TB gets pretty expensive

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
6TB in RAID0 equates to 4x1.5TB disks. You can get that in an external enclosure with 4x3TB disks. Cost seem to be a concern and since you don't have bandwidth issue the I would stick with a local RAID5 and back everything up to the cloud. One more question to ask is how quickly do you need access to your data if you have to do a full recovery? Even with Google fibre, restoring 6TB data from the cloud will take some time.

TRENDING THREADS