New 7970, never before seen problem?

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I've worked as a computer repair guy for many years, and I've yet to see this problem. I get this on my main monitor, acer 23 inch, random times playing a video on YouTube via Chrome (ironically ones about 7970 tweaks and benchmarks). My 2nd monitor is a 42inch TV on the wall that is also plugged into the card, but everything is fine on that one. I could still move applications to that screen and use it like nothing has ever happened.
aofs480.jpg

-drivers are up to date
I have a brand new sapphire 7970 'OC with Boost' and I LOVE it. Besides this problem, it's a great card. I've overclocked the card to a small 1100 core/1500 mem/1175 vddc/Board power li 20, and it ran stable with heaven/furmark/bf3/crysis3 all on ultra (again, an awesome card).

My main question is: What is it called when your monitor does that? If I had a better search term for that issue I could find a solution on my own. Feel free to give any solutions and/or reasons why it does that. I feel like I just lost the video card lottery and should leave my card at stock.
-side note: The only other instability I've had with this card was that sometimes my horloger clock app that runs on my TV monitor crashes sometimes while running a game, which minimizes my game. Is having my 42inch tv plugged into my card a bad thing? Should I plug it into my motherboard? Should I put in an old 6850 and use that to run my tv monitor?

Side question #451: My card came stock at 1200 VDDC, is that normal?

Solution
Switch the plugs (GPU wise, as in: Plugging the monitor into the TV's port and vice-versa.) Try to replicate the issue on both. If the TV does it, then bad card. If it's the monitor, bad monitor.

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Great idea, Thanatos. It only happened twice, so it will be hard to replicate. The first time it happened I was able to close chrome using task manager via my 2nd monitor, and that fixed the primary monitor right away. The 2nd time it happened I tried an alt-4 to close chrome, but the monitor stayed. It happens AS SOON as I pressed play on a youtube video. I'm hoping it's the monitor and not the card =/

iLLMotion

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I had the exact same problem. I went nuts looking up a solution for this problem. Apparently it only occurs with pc's that are running dual monitor setups. I found that it's actually flash that was causing this issue. What worked for me was. 1. Right click a flash ad or video. 2. Go to settings 3. Under the first tab uncheck Enable hardware acceleration.

I've found that on other forums, this solved it for many, but not all. It definitely worked for me though. good luck!

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

I totally forgot to update this post! But yeah, I found the words "Hardware acceleration" and instantly remembered the many problems that causes. Turned it off and haven't seen the problem since. When in doubt, disable Hardware Accelerator!