Help me figure out which laptop is the best for me

Which option should I go with?

• Macbook pro (retina or non-retina: $2000)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Desktop+ultrabook ($1000 for desktop, $500-1000 for ultrabook)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ultrabook ($1400-1600)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyunmyers77

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I have been browsing the past couple of days to decide on some computer purchase.

The decision comes between either
A. Buying a macbook pro
B. Building a desktop for gaming + decent laptop for school (with the amount of money I'd spend on a macbook
C. Buying an Ultrabook that is equivalent in price and specs as the macbook

Here are some primary usage of mine:

Web browsing, Watching Anime (HD is a must), Gaming (SC2 HOTS), and school.

I want the specs to be at least above
3rd gen i5 or i7
Discrete graphics card that will run Hots on High settings
SSD preferred, but 7200 rpm HD is ok
1080p resolution
In the case of laptop: 6+ hours of battery life

budget: preferably under $1500, but it depends on whether more money would be wroth it in the long run

I know I have to spend at least $2k to get a macbook with GT650M, so my question is if the macbook pro would be worth it?
I really like the aluminum unibody and other features it comes with, but 2k is just asking for too much.

With that money i was thinking I could build a rig and buy a decent ultrabook for school.

I'm currently using Samsung qx410-S02 with 1st gen i5 and Gtx410M (runs Starcraft on low-medium settings with 30FPS)
I've used it for over three years and it is just lacking the juice for the gaming and the features are outdated IMO.

Sorry that the information is a bit jumbled and disorganized.

let me know if you need more info.

Thanks.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Yup build a gaming desktop and buy a cheap laptop.

My reccomendation for school laptop if you don't need any specialized software on the go is a Samsung Chromebook. It's what I use, it's quick to boot, full size keyboard, default encryption, 6.5h battery life which you actually get, just lacking on what you can do software wise. But taking notes, writing papers (even offline which is what i'v done most of the semester), and browsing it is more than capable of performing well. Just note that you need to access google drive in the browser and not rely on the file manager if you want to access your google docs offline (which you have limited ability to make/edit, enough to do what you need but not anything complicated). Big perk to this is that it only set you back $250 and for the money gives you something that feels fast and responsive right out of the box and doesn't take much out of your gaming PC build fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS