Critique My Components for Build

btanne6

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hey guys I'm looking to build my first custom PC and need some help in choosing components. I've seen a ton of these types of threads but feel my needs/wants and price range are a little different than most. I've built computers for friends but those were low budget and built off of combinations from magazines. I am looking to build a Haswell PC and I want to get as much as possible together now and then buy the processor and motherboard upon release.

Usage: I am a CS grad-student and working software developer. The computer will be used heavily for school-work, including various projects and will most likely run virtual machines often. I currently run a 3 1080p-monitor setup but will most likely upgrade to 4. It will also be used frequently for home entertainment. I game occasionally in my spare time, but nothing very demanding. Not too much in graphical development but occasional video encoding, especially when building presentations. In short, I don't need a bohemoth but I do spend a huge amount of time on the computer so maximizing my time with performance could be very helpful.

What I need help with: I am providing a list of components I've researched and seem to fit the bill. I'm looking to stay under $2500, which shouldn't be hard considering I don't need a monster GPU. I would appreciate any advice/guidance on any of the components and if I may be missing a better combination somewhere. Note: The prices listed aren't the best possible prices. I'm more interested in the components themselves and would search for best prices upon purchase. Thanks.

•Case: Corsair 650D (purchased)
•PSU: Corsair AX760i $169.99
•HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200RPM $138.44
•SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB $228.55
•Disc Drive: LG 14x Blu-ray Rewriter $59.99
•Memory: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866 16GB $180.00

? CPU: Haswell Core i7-4770k - argument for Sandy Bridge Extreme?
? MOBO: ?
? GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 I am looking for suggestions here...