Sign in with
Your question

First Time Build (Very new to this...)

Last response: in Systems
March 31, 2013 10:43:57 PM

So I am very new to this whole "building-my-own-pc" thing. After looking at new computers, adding things up, I figure that I can get nearly twice the pc for the money if I build it myself. I've read a ton, looked at almost every online electronics store website, and now I "think" I'm ready to start. But I really want to make sure I'm doing this right before I commit... Here's what I've come up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ND8W

Two things I am just not sure about... The motherboard and the video card.

Please give me your advice on things you may change, options, how everything looks, etc. Even cheaper alternatives that are just as good. I will be visiting a Micro Center tomorrow. I look forward to reading what you all have to say!

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - $229.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard - $114.99
Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory - $47.98
Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory - $47.98
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $77.35
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $112.50
MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card - $229.99
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter - $39.99
Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99
Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply - $29.99
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer - $64.98

More about : time build

a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2013 1:20:09 AM

Purpose? Overclocking?
Related resources
April 1, 2013 1:21:35 AM

This build for multiple things. Gaming, video editing/graphic design work, etc. Would you still recommend the i5? And thanks for the recommendation on the psu.
April 1, 2013 1:23:36 AM

realchaos said:
Purpose? Overclocking?

As of now I have no real intention on overclocking, but that doesn't mean I won't sometime in the future as I get going with it.

The build is for gaming, video editing/graphic design, etc.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2013 1:27:00 AM

Your original build looks good for a gaming/editing/graphic design rig. Only a couple things:
Do you need the blu-ray drive? If no, just opt for the cheapest optical drive you could find.
Switch out the case to something like the Corsair 200r, NZXT Tempest 210, Zalman Z5, etc. They provide better cable management.
Change the psu like stife_ff7 said.
Try to grab the 7870 XT if you can. It will provide better performance for about ~$10-20 more.
You can hold off on the cpu cooler for now. Just make sure to have a good one when you overclock.
April 1, 2013 1:29:47 AM

I've also read where some people really recommend the i5 over the i7 claiming it does "this" or "that" better. But I've read the benchmarks and they are clearly stating that the i7 is better in every area. Am I missing something?

Here's a link comparing the benchmark tests for the two on anandtech.com
http://anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=701
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2013 1:32:15 AM

The i7 does better than the i5 in things like editing and rendering, just the workstation programs. In gaming, they perform the same.
I can't think of a situation of where the i5 beats the i7, other than prices. In solid performance itself, the i7 is equal in some places and beats the i5 in others.
April 1, 2013 1:34:49 AM

realchaos said:
Your original build looks good for a gaming/editing/graphic design rig. Only a couple things:
Do you need the blu-ray drive? If no, just opt for the cheapest optical drive you could find.
Switch out the case to something like the Corsair 200r, NZXT Tempest 210, Zalman Z5, etc. They provide better cable management.
Change the psu like stife_ff7 said.
Try to grab the 7870 XT if you can. It will provide better performance for about ~$10-20 more.
You can hold off on the cpu cooler for now. Just make sure to have a good one when you overclock.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. Haha, I just really want to make sure I'm doing this right before I go buying a ton of stuff and put it together! The blu-ray drive I'm actually going to use to burn some of the video edits to disc.
!