Graphics Card suddenly no longer detected. No signal to monitor.

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hey everyone, my graphics card is no longer being detected by my computer. Below are the things I have tried/checked while using my on board graphics:

-Graphics card fan is spinning so it is getting power. So are all other fans.
-Have re-installed windows with the graphics card out. Then put the card back in and tried to detect it in windows device manager.
-Have tried the graphics card in a different computer and it worked.
-Have tried a different card in my computer and it worked.
-I have visually inspected the graphics card for obvious burn marks etc.
-The monitor works.
-I ran the windows "hardware diagnostic tool" which checked the ram, cpu, pci, pci-e, etc and everything passed.

The computer was running great for a few days after installing windows 7 and doing all the updates. Then one day I started it up and the monitor said no signal. I shut it down and then rebooted. It then proceeded to load up windows and everything just fine. I used the computer for the rest of the day. The next day I went to turn it on and got the same no signal message on the monitor. After a few reboots, still had the no signal message. I have been using the on board graphics to re-install windows etc.

I have not looked into the bios and I should get another can of compressed air to make sure the pci-e slot has no dust in it. But I did a somewhat thorough job of dusting when I first opened the case (it really wasn't all that dusty to begin with though).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hi,

Even though you tried in other computer does not mean that your video card is ok. As you said even in your current rig it works sometimes. You can try to clear CMOS for start so you could have clean start. Test your video card in another computer for some time, and test another videocard in your PC for some time. It will give you a hint if there is video card problem or something else.

PCI-E slot will provide power, even if it is mailfunctioning sometimes but will refuse to comunicate with chipset.
So you'll need aditional testing to rule out part by part.

Best regards :)

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

Thanks for the reply!

I am currently at work right now but I will try and clear CMOS when I get home. Should I clear it with the graphics card in or out? Or does it matter?

As a side note, I was doing some research "googling with fingers crossed" and discovered that my computer has a 350W Power supply (i will confirm this when I get home). However, the research also indicated that the graphics card requirements state approx 350-400 with some places stating 500W. Could this potentially be the issue? I don't have a meter to determine what the power output is. The computer is several years old so maybe the output from the PS has dropped? IDK. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS (will confirm this when i get home too). Computer is HP 9515y.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Will do x2. Is there a value for the amperage you are expecting me to see there or that is required for the card? I will be able to check on this stuff when I get home in around 4-5 hours.
Thanks

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

I reset BIOS to defaults with the card out. No change in being able to detect video card after I put the card back in.

PSU details:
Delta Electronics, Inc.
Model: DPS-350AB-8 A REV: 05F
Input: 100-127V ~/ 10A, 47 Hz - 63Hz 200-240V ~/5A
Output: +12Va /18A 12Vb /18A
+5V /13A +5stb /2A
+3.3V /15A -12V 0.8A
Max power: 350W
The combine power on +12Va & +12Vb Total 300W Max
Max continuous output power equal to 350W

Thanks!

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

Your PSU is powerfull enough to push that GT but question remains is it stable. Did that "other" card you tried in your computer hungrier or weaker in terms of power consumption. Also what kind of PSU does the other PC where your card worked?

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I'm pretty sure the card was weaker than mine and I am somewhat sure that the psu was weaker than mine. The pc and card I used were from a work pc. So to be sure I'd have to check tomorrow.

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
So I tried my graphics card in another computer that has a 300W power supply with 18A on the 12Vrail. My video card has a wire to plug into the motherboard in my computer but there isn't a place to plug it in on this other computer. So I just ran the video card without the wire being plugged in. The fan ran and the card was automatically detected by the computer.

I also just tried putting an ATI X1050 PCIe 256MB Video card into the slot in my computer where my graphics card was and the computer just showed a black screen. It also wouldnt show anything even if i used the on board video card. Once I took the card out and booted back up, the on board video worked.... I also just took that card (ATI) and put it in the other computer. The computer booted up fine and detected the card.

I also just got a third and different video card and put it into my computer. The computer sends video to the monitor using this card and is detected in windows. The card does not have an on board fan like the other two, so I assume it draws substantially less power. Maybe the PSU in my comp went bad? I cant tell the make of this third card.

I tried my card in a third computer that has has 280W 18A on 12V rail and the computer made long beeping sounds and never showed anything on the screen.

bioppolo

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
I have also just taken out all the ram and booted. The computer beeped and would not show anything. I shut down and put two sticks back in. it booted and signal went to monitor from on board card. I shut down and put the remaining 2 sticks in and booted. No signal still from good card but get signal from on board card. I am officially out of ideas. I don't know if I should go buy a PS tester and unplug everything to test the PSU. Or if I should just give in and take it to a PC shop around here and spend the $$$. I am hoping you have some other ideas for what might be causing this issue.

Ben

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I would put my money that mobo is bad. Have one board here which has simillar symptopms. Asus m2n68-se.

According to Asus support chipset has been bad so PCI controller is messed up. That's why you get power through slot, but nothing happens. Sometimes work, sometimes not.

Wingman714

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I had the exact same problem with my XFX GeForce 9600 GSO. My whole rig was only about 3 months old when it stopped working. The issue had nothing to do with the size of the power supply, it turns out that my motherboard wasn't properly grounded when I installed it inside the tower. A small design flaw allowed small amounts of voltage to flow over the motherboard and other components. The video card was operating, but not allowing the voltage to travel through the cable and to my monitor. I found this out when my buddy and I were drinking a few 12-packs and laughing when we were getting shocked while working on it...alcohol saved the day!!!