Report: Google Working on Haswell-based Chromebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]I can't get over the idea that a laptop its considered "premium" with the intel HD 4000..i just can't[/citation]

I am in the same boat, though i gues swith chromebooks you won't really be doing my gaming unless there is a workaround to give it direct x tha ti have not heard about, the intel 4000 would be fine for web surfing, or angry birds... but then again you don't need a premium product for that either

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]I can't get over the idea that a laptop its considered "premium" with the intel HD 4000..i just can't[/citation]

I get where you're coming from because I used to think the same thing until I just tried out Skyrim and guess what?

I've nearly completed Skyrim lvl 58 on my toon - HD 4000 graphics with no hiccups. The game looks great with quite a few mods like deadly dragons, enhanced dragon combat, HD Skyrim textures, etc.

Windows 7 (64-bit), Intel i5-3427U, 4GB RAM...

Unless you see it first hand it's hard to believe, but Civ 5 also looks pretty damn nice and plays through...

I'd love to have a self built gaming rig but right now with travel and work requirements - I can play on a 3lb computer instead of a desktop anchor.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]I get where you're coming from because I used to think the same thing until I just tried out Skyrim and guess what?I've nearly completed Skyrim lvl 58 on my toon - HD 4000 graphics with no hiccups.[/citation]
HD4000 is not for everyone but it gets the job done as long as you have reasonable expectations for what it is. It certainly will not beat world records in frames per second with vsync off and max details and triple-head panoramic output but at low/medium details on a 1280x800 screen, it gets the job done in most cases.

The real IGP fun begins with Intel's GT3 which allegedly delivers reasonably playable performance at 1080p. If that is true, mobile GPUs may soon become a tiny niche thing.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
1. If it's running on Haswell then it's HD4600 and above, i.e. most likely a HD5xxx part (GT3/3e).

2. It's a chromebook. You're not going to play skyrim on it anyway.

3. Premium doesn't mean gaming. Premium means
Relating to or denoting a commodity or product of superior quality and therefore a higher price
So if it's of high quality and does what it's made for, it's premium.

4. You know, i game, but most of the time my GTX 560 is clocked at 50/67/101 MHz (core/mem/shader). I still can't understand why regardless of the application, it's supposed to have a 680M in it, along with MOAR COARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.