WHY are BA`s not continued from month to month...

Hi All :)

Just checked my BA`s in Laptops...

Last month (March) I was top as usual with 11 Ba`s (over twice as many as number two...

As the month has now changed ...all the Ba`s have reset to zero...

Which means any user asking for help has no idea who is now the best person to know the relevant answer...

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me....

Surely they should accrue , from month to month as a total ?

Any thoughts ?

All the best Brett :)

General Billboard

How do you compare to the experts? The members presented here achieved the highest number of best answers, all domains of expertise included.
The scores are reset each month, in order to promote the most prolific experts as of today.

This is what's posted at the top of the Billboard.

Hi :)

That`s total tosh...lol and sounds like it was written by a committee.... it means nothing...

A user asking a question will have precisely NO IDEA who is an expert or not on the FIRST of the month.... EVERYONE being equal on the first of every month...this is about expertise, not Communism ...lol

Etc etc...

I doubt Joe even knows this is how its working....

Just had another thought....

Wait until EVERY veteran user finds out they HAVE TO re-earn their expertise every month..... :(

There are going to be a LOT of unhappy experts on Toms..... assuming they stay of course, which I seriously doubt....

And without that expertise...Toms will just die....

Hi MM :)

Are you sure because I have NEVER seen it this way ?

And I was Top Dog as you put it (nice phrase by the way lol) , for a very long time before the changeover...

And how will a user asking a question on or near the first of the month have any idea from the main or section Billboard whom is best qualified to answer....when everyone users AND experts are on zero ?

Brett :)

There has been more than a few times that I have been No.1 in the Graphic section but that's always been reset at the beginning of the month and I have over 900 BA's by the way so that has nothing to do with it.

If you respond in a thread and are concerned that nobody will see your best answer count because the billboard is reset only has to mouse over your avatar to see the total that you have.
I have had many people ask me for advice , suggestions or answers and do not mention my 1357 BA's , or 70 plus badges, but do mention that they saw my response in a certain thread. So sometimes it's not about totals and rankings but rather what you have posted.

Having looked at those systems very carefully , I can see that now....

But the question I have to ask is WHY ??

Maybe I am missing something here, but can anyone see a reason for it?

I just cannot see any reason for the monthly reset in rankings, as personally its REALLY annoying....

I am sure other veterans would think the same way, particularly as its so obvious now.....I do not remember seeing it at all with the old system ?

Brett :)

Why would other veterans think the same way if they remember that the monthly rankings under the old system were done the same way , if you remember it used to say the month that those rankings were for.

This thread has been up for quite a few hours now so where are all these upset veterans? Maybe they remember?

randomizer

Champion

To give others the opportunity to be ranked at the top otherwise it would always be the same people. There's little incentive to climb Olympus Mons, but if you only have to climb Everest you might be willing to try. It also means that those who are on top can't rest on their laurels. In short: it encourages people to post (and hopefully post quality content), at least those who look at the charts. I'm not sure how many people actually do.

I actually don't look at the monthly billboard because it's really not a reflection of your totals, I prefer mousing over a persons avatar to see what they have because it tells you the total best answers and posts. Since the billboard is new and your best answers were brought forward there's no way it could be considered a reflection of what a persons record is. I also agree with Randomizer and it should be a monthly record of what people do. Some members are not able to get on the forum for one reason or another and may be very good at resolving issues this gives them the chance to get on the billboard.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
The ranks are based on the number of BAs that have been earned for that month only, but you don't lose your cumulative BAs.

This is correct, and as it should be. The overwhelming majority of new users asking a question and receiving a reply from another user isn't going to examine where that user falls on the General Billboard - but will determine the value of that answer based on their badge, and even potentially how many Best Answers over the maximum threshold they are displaying on their profile page.