Sign in with
Your question

Weird ASUS Gaming laptop not powering on at all problem! PLS Help me!! :(((

Last response: in Motherboards
April 1, 2013 12:59:34 PM

Hey guys its my first time posting on yahoo answers. Im desperate for an answer any kind of help is appreciated!

Im not a very rich kid, but I still know a lot about pc's and laptops. Im fixing them for pocket money. Being a mid class kid with a family of 6 a gaming laptop was always just a dream for me. Looking at pics online at night, dreaming... one day maybe.

Suddenly 4 days ago a rich friend of mine phoned me saying that his ASUS G71G Gaming laptop stopped working and it had some water damage which dried up now, he would give it to me for free and if I fixed it I could keep it! My blood boiled in excitement and happiness. I went to collect the laptop but Im facing a big problem. Please help my dream come true. I would never be able to afford a laptop like that....

So the problem:
The laptop gets power, battery is dead so I tried removing it/keeping it in, but anyway the power indicator is lit if I plug it in. If I press the power button nothing happens. No start at all, no fans hdd activity, anything the laptop simply doesent power on. I received a tip to remove any battery/cable hold power button for 30-60 sec put back cable and have it a go. I tried this method, the laptop powered right up, booted. I was extremely happy, went to bed with happy thoughts. next day i wake up try and start the thing, nothing happens. Since the battery was out for the whole time I just removed the cable again pushed power button for 30 sec, tried turning the laptop on, nothing happened. I repeated this method several times, right when i started freaking out that I never gone get this thing to boot again, I reinserted the power cable and the laptop fired right up! I was happy, I booted linux, listened to music, played videos, let the comp run for hours. It didnt have a single problem. I even tried shaking it so i can see if theres any connection problems in it. It was working perfectly.Later that afternoon I removed the cable, took it up to my room to use it there. Wonder what? No boot. But this time for sure. I tried everything I have been struggling with it for 2 days, when I got totally depressed from the fact that I was *this* close to having my dream come true. I was angry that it didnt work I was let down so here it goes (Im an idiot I know) I gave a HUGE bitch slap right onto the keyboard. TADAA the laptop fired right up. I was like: WTF?! It booted, I powered off, pressed the power button, TADAA again! I repeated this several times, with no problems. Then something came to my mind. What if... I removed the power cable (battery still out, its dead no charge at all) then put the cable back, hit the power button and NOTHING. Now I was desperate for a solution. Since I didnt want to have a 30's russian satellite what you have to punch every time to start I figured I have problem on the mobo. I tried the reflow process in my oven two times, with no result. After the reflows, even now If I hit the laptop hard in between the keyboard and the touch pad it starts right up, works fine for hours. Even if its shut off for a while the problem only occurs if the power is removed.

What I have tried so far:
- removed everything from mobo, even tried changing them (hdd, ram, processor)
- emptied the cmos, removed the cmos, replace the cmos with an other one...
- reflowing the mobo 2x times in the oven on 200 Celsius first for 12 then nearly 20 mins.
- Took the whole laptop apart to small pieces and cleaned everything separately

Thank you for reading through my problem, pls help my dream become true, it would mean a whole lot to me!!! Any answer is appreciated, I think Im facing a not dead, but somehow broken mobo, pls anyone with any advice or experience in this kind help me. One last thing: the laptop has a removable Nvidia geforce GTX 260m MXM III GPU, which can pretty much cause the same symptoms, but Im sure its not the GPU because it works perfectly for hours if the machine powers.

Thank you all in advance :D 

David
April 4, 2013 4:26:05 PM

Might be a bad power supply or the battery on the mobo is having problems and when you are hitting it they are moving enough to get a bit of power though so it will boot. I would start by finding out how to replace the battery on the mobo. These batteries are like watch batteries.
April 4, 2013 4:38:07 PM

Cameron MacKinnon said:
Might be a bad power supply or the battery on the mobo is having problems and when you are hitting it they are moving enough to get a bit of power though so it will boot. I would start by finding out how to replace the battery on the mobo. These batteries are like watch batteries.

I already mentioned changing the cmos didnt help
Related resources
April 4, 2013 5:00:26 PM

Have you inspected the MOBO for any breaks in the wiring. could be something you might be able to easily re-solder.
April 4, 2013 6:28:28 PM

Cameron MacKinnon said:
Have you inspected the MOBO for any breaks in the wiring. could be something you might be able to easily re-solder.

ye I did it all over a couple of times also tried reflowing in the oven. twice :/  Daimn this makes me sad.
!