Medium gaming, two monitors gpu

lestop9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello,
So far I have decided to go with i5 3570K processor, AsRock Extreme4 mother board, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, now I need to get a gpu for two monitors with 1920x1200 resolution. If two cards have similar specs and performance I will go for the less expensive one.
Can I get any suggestions please?

Airm3n-1292454

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I'm assuming you are going to game on one monitor while the other is just for regular stuff. While I think a few games support 2 monitors for the majority its not very nice to play as you would be looking into the bezel all the time. For a single monitor you would probably be best going to one of the radeons as they provide very good value for the price and good performance as well. I have heard the reference coolers on them are a bit noisy so perhaps finding an aftermarket one preinstalled on a card would be good. Honestly though if only a single monitor you wouldn't have any issues with either the gtx 670 or 7950 or 7970. The latter two have bigger memory buses which would help should you decide to go to higher resolutions be it by 3 monitors or to larger resolution single monitors. Whichever of those you can get a decent price on I would recommend.

lestop9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Thanks for the reply and recommendation,
I need two monitors for some hd video editing which I forgot to specify, sorry.

Airm3n-1292454

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I don't think any of those three cards would have any issue doing what you need. Just locate yourself the one at the best price and enjoy. Should you choose the gtx 670 though don't waste your money going to 4gb I can't see any use for it.

lestop9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Airm3n said:I'm assuming you are going to game on one monitor while the other is just for regular stuff. While I think a few games support 2 monitors for the majority its not very nice to play as you would be looking into the bezel all the time. For a single monitor you would probably be best going to one of the radeons as they provide very good value for the price and good performance as well. I have heard the reference coolers on them are a bit noisy so perhaps finding an aftermarket one preinstalled on a card would be good. Honestly though if only a single monitor you wouldn't have any issues with either the gtx 670 or 7950 or 7970. The latter two have bigger memory buses which would help should you decide to go to higher resolutions be it by 3 monitors or to larger resolution single monitors. Whichever of those you can get a decent price on I would recommend.
Someone just mentioned a "Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R787OC-2GD",
Would you have an advice on that "little computer"

Airm3n-1292454

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
i believe the 78xx series were the 79xx series that didn't quite make the cut if i'm not mistaken. At the resolution of 1920x1200 you probably won't be able to tell the difference whether you were running the 7870 or say something like 7950. Biggest difference seems to be you get a smaller memory bus 256-bit vs 384-bit and 2gb ram instead of 3gb ram. But at that resolution you most likely wouldn't even be able to tell unless you cranked your antialiasing up to the absolute max. Probably 5-10fps tops in difference.

lestop9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

I received two recommendations for the AMD cards as the better value. That helps to concentrate on one particular brand. Now I have two different cards with similar specifications. Would you recommend any particular manufacturer as a more reliable brand?

Airm3n-1292454

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I don't think it matters for the most part in particular. See if you can't locate reviews on either card and if you can see which one has the most positive ones and choose that one. Thats usually how i pick. Amazon usually works well for me that way.

lestop9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Quick search leads towards 7950 but I think this is due to recommendations by heavy gamers. $50 difference should allow for purchase of extra Ram, which I assume should help with video editing. 7870 seems to be a choice for my needs
Thanks a lot for your time and help with decision making. One more monkey off my back. Now onto Power supply and the system should be up and running in a few days

TRENDING THREADS