Advice on current system specs or rebuild

cannodal19

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Ok I've been saving up for a 800-900 build but I just got ahold of an Asus VG278HE 3D gaming monitor for 200 bucks.

My current specs are

MSI DK790GX Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz
8GB of G.Skill 800mhz ram
ASUS ENGTS450 TOP 1GB video card

Now I know I have to upgrade the video card, and I'm thinking of a EVGA 660Ti 3GB or the EVGA 670 GTX 2GB card and then getting the 3D vision kit with glasses.. That cost 500 right there..

Will my current CPU-MB-Ram handle this upgrade and play 3d games at least at decent settings? Or Will I HAVE to upgrade the cpu mobo also?

Michael Viox

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
The first issue I see is that the new graphics card that you are looking at will not work with your motherboard. They are PCIE 3.0 but your mother board is a 2.0 if you get my drift. Second, the graphics card you do have is "good enough" to run most games that require you to have atleast 1gb Ram. Could even be used in some 3d formats. If your looking at upgrading motherboard and CPU then yeah go for it. but be careful though because one upgrade can bring on another and another. I spent close to 1k just upgrading to a better graphics card a couple years ago. (cheapest thing was the graphics card) Don't forget though that power could also be an issue. Most graphics cards these days require second and third power source, so even a power supply could be in your future.
2x corsair 140 gtx SSD
3x WD black 1Tb
32 gb corsair 1600
AMD 8350 x8 core
2x 2gb nvidia gtx 560
Corsair 1200w PSU
Custom cooling loop
ASUS crosshair v formula z

cannodal19

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Well I went to pick up the monitor n here it wasn't the 3D version one, Still a 300 monitor but not a 3D version so I got it for 170... So now i'm not to concern with the 3D vision part,, plus my video card does "OK" but I still want more like always.. I've been doing some pricing on build and have it down to a T but you are right, one upgrade comes to another..

N the motherboard,,, oh wow I didn't even think of that... So I know where I have to do my up grades next lol.. Thanks for the help

Michael Viox

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

No Problem I do alot of research on everything I buy (sometimes before I buy it LOL)