Sign in with
Your question

Please rate and comment on the system I spec'd for my son!!

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2013 5:32:28 PM

Hello all...

I spec'd this system out for my sons birthday present.
He plays COD online, Champions of Regnum and uses Sony Vegas 11 for editing his vids.

We are going to build it together.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS F2A85-V PRO ATX 4DIMM DDR3 FM2 MOTHERBOARD

Amd A10 5800K Blk Edt 3800Mhz 4Mb 100w AD580KWOHJBOX

Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC15000 DDR3 1866MHz CL9 2x4 CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

ASUS HD6670 2GB DDR3 HD6670-2GD3 (may add a 2nd due to multiple gpu support on Mobo)

Kingwin Maximum Power Supply 750 Watts ABT-750MM

Toshiba HDKPC03 DT01ACA100 1TB Hard Drive

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case VL80001W2Z

Win 7 Home Premium
--------------------------------------------------------------------
He will be using this with his 32" LED TV

I already have the optical drive, wifi card, keyboard and mouse.

Be as honest as you want with your comments!

Thanks in advance!

Adam
April 1, 2013 5:34:59 PM

What is your budget?
April 1, 2013 5:48:12 PM

McLubbin said:
What is your budget?

I actually already ordered everything yesterday.....

I want to support his entry into the comp/electronics realm.. so the budget is pretty open.
If he decides to go into the the graphical/video editing.. I wanted a decent starter with the ability to upgrade. He has an Hauppauge HD PVR 2.
It will also be used to record his guitar, bass and electronic drum kit through a Mackie ProFX 12 he has.

He's 15 so there is time and room to grow and change!
Related resources
April 1, 2013 5:52:01 PM

Well you sure do have a lot of money! Lol

I am 15 as well and my parents helped pay for about 400$ out of the 1200$ I have spent. Since building it and spending a few months on here (I already had quite a bit of prior knowledge) I have learned a LOT

Anyways good luck and hope he happy :)  I know I sure love my computer, but I want to hopefully build computers for a living or something like that.. Its fun :) 
April 1, 2013 5:56:45 PM

McLubbin said:
Well you sure do have a lot of money! Lol

I am 15 as well and my parents helped pay for about 400$ out of the 1200$ I have spent. Since building it and spending a few months on here (I already had quite a bit of prior knowledge) I have learned a LOT

Anyways good luck and hope he happy :)  I know I sure love my computer, but I want to hopefully build computers for a living or something like that.. Its fun :) 

Oh he bought his first comp!!! $700, that was intel based with nvidia graphics and a Avermedia HDMI PCI capture card. He worked for it! This ones on us though!

What are the specs of your comp and do you use it for gaming/vid editing?
April 1, 2013 5:59:22 PM

Well nice build ! You did ur research :) 
A10-5800 cf with hd 6670 has a realy realy good price/performance!

But the only no-go is the power supply. It has a very low efficiency, bad quality.
A 400w psu from a good brand would be enough...

Never buy psus lower then 80+bronze
Ur psu isnt even 80+
April 1, 2013 6:01:44 PM

This is my current build. I built it all by myself :) 

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/A13

(Those pics are from like a month or 2 ago, before I had Red LED fans on my heatsink. Also, cable management is better now)

I use it mainly for gaming, some photo editing.

I plan on upgrading it to something like this after working all summer (I already have a job lined up)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/McLubbin/saved/1oXn

I worked for a while for family and stuff to be able to afford my first computer which was a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.. That cost 800$ and I got that in like 2009... Stiill have it and it still works..
April 1, 2013 6:03:24 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
Well nice build though...
But the only no-go is the power supply. It has a very low efficiency, bad quality.
A 400w psu from a good brand would be enough...
Never buy psus lower then 80+bronze

What do you mean by 80+bronze? Is that a Toms rating?
I actually thought i messed up on the PSU and called TigerDirect. The tech said it was more than enough and would work well with the system. Is 400W enough if I added another GFX card for 3-way xfireX?
April 1, 2013 6:15:04 PM

Hadn't stumbled on that website before... Hmmm...
April 1, 2013 6:31:40 PM

Just about everybody here uses it xD Its amazing
April 1, 2013 6:36:19 PM

The only note it gave me was the lack of the usb 3.0 header on the front panel of the case!
As Marco said... I messed up on the psu. I over did the wattage and the lack of efficiency...
April 1, 2013 6:42:07 PM

Build your computer on PCPartpicker and then post it here. It will be much easier to suggest changes or upgrades and whatnot
April 2, 2013 2:52:09 AM

Nah its fine only not perfect part is the psu
Low quality psu-->Less efficiency--> more heat--> less life span

April 2, 2013 5:39:56 AM

Thanks for all the info!
I will post the results after the build!
April 2, 2013 1:30:18 PM

Hey Guys...
I added a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO to my order.....

I wonder if I should add another 8G Mem, bringing the total to 16G.
Say I want to play BF3, I guess it couldn't hurt right?

Thanks,
Adam
April 2, 2013 4:15:54 PM

Good cpu-cooler!

Well all games are using less then 4gb ram ...
April 2, 2013 4:40:47 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
Good cpu-cooler!

Well all games are using less then 4gb ram ...

Thanks!

I watched more than a few reviews on the A10...
Alot lot of mixed results and reviews and tips.
In the bios I saw I should match the max shared mem to the amount that the video card has. I haven't seen the Asus bios yet but most only go up to 1Gig I think, the card I have is a 2Gig. If I max out that bios setting I would think it a good idea to add more mem to make it up? So as not to hinder the amount the cpu has to use?

The mobo supports up to 32G(I understand that I will never use that much I figured 16Gig is a good round number).

Am I on the right thought train?

Thanks,
Adam

April 5, 2013 5:29:48 PM

Hey guys...
Pcpartpicker said it would work....

The box doesn't say for fm2. I tried it anyway and lost one of my mem slots.

Where can i attach a pic to show you guys. I did a lot of searching and didn't find anything that mentioned this issue with the mobo/socket I have.

Thanks,
Adam
April 5, 2013 5:49:41 PM

What happened?
April 5, 2013 6:06:12 PM

Hey hey...
Sorry.. I when I say "lost" a slot I meant I lost the physical space to put a stick in.
The radiator literally sits over top of one of the slots.
I took pics... Maybe tomorrow I'll in load them to pcpartspicker and put the link here to my build.

Thanks,
Adam
April 6, 2013 7:37:16 AM

Im dealing with the whole A10-5800 / ASUS F2A85-v PRO / Asus Radeon HD 6670 dual graphics "thingy"....

I will admit, its been a pain in the ars. Looking at the reviews online made me feel like it was a good choice. Then I built the system and I cant find a "how to" to "tell me how to get it done" for dummies when it comes to setting it all up. I'll consider myself a dummy at this point. No need to tell me in future comments .... Anywho...

It seems there is a lot of info on the net but, its spread out between forums / sub-forums and youtube, depending on if you want to OC or just Dual Gfx.

I'm giving it 2 more days of fiddling in the BIOS or AI Suite to get a stable O.C. and the Dual Gfx running......
If I cant, then I'm buying a Higher end Gfx card and considering the gpu and the 6670 card a waste for me.

I really want this all to work.

Thanks,
Adam
April 6, 2013 8:15:28 AM

McLubbin said:

(Those pics are from like a month or 2 ago, before I had Red LED fans on my heatsink. Also, cable management is better now)

I plan on upgrading it to something like this after working all summer (I already have a job lined up)

I worked for a while for family and stuff to be able to afford my first computer which was a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.. That cost 800$ and I got that in like 2009... Stiill have it and it still works..

Drop the Windows 7 ultimate, and get home premium. Then with the $100 saved, get a 7970 card. You have a terrible card for a $2000 build.
April 6, 2013 4:15:02 PM

ballerslife said:
McLubbin said:

Drop the Windows 7 ultimate, and get home premium. Then with the $100 saved, get a 7970 card. You have a terrible card for a $2000 build.

The first build has a gtx550ti with windows 7 ultimate because I build it in january 2012 and had my friend from microsoft send me that copy.

The second build is 2000 with a 7970. (the list says 7950 but thats not the one I am getting)
!