Custom PC turning on and off

Brianheydasch

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Alright my custom PC keeps turning on and off after replacing the coolant. It was overheating originally, so I replaced the coolant and hopefully put everything back together in the right place. Now my problem here is that when I turn it on, it will turn on for a couple of seconds and then shut right back off a couple seconds after I hear the initial loading beep.

My motherboard is a:

GigaByte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard

I have a video describing my issue and you can view it at

http://youtu.be/XCYcmPca3_M

I hope that'll help because I am genuinely clueless here.

I'm going to point my finger at the ExtremeGear PSU. If there is one thing I would complain about that particular boutique builder, it's their use of such an 'iffy' PSU as their 'standard' (a quick search on the internet may be enlighting about that). I would recommend replacing the PSU with a Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling or any other reputable brand (ask here before you buy). You shouldn't need more than 450W - 500W to power that system (with a reputable PSU). I'm also going to recommend some exhaust fans for your case - with the graphics card blowing out heat internally like that, you need something other than the rad to remove the heat

Brianheydasch

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate that! Would you say that is my problem? Like is that is whats causing it to turn on for a couple of seconds and then turn off?

The PSU is by far the most likely culprit here but your original overheating issue was likely due to the graphics card dumping it's heat into the case and a lack of decent circulation (the PSU should've been mounted fan up in your system at least - I'm disappointed they didn't do that). Although you could send the unit back to them if still under warranty, I would suggest the "easier" route may be to simply replace the PSU yourself (It's not too difficult, just a tad bit tedious sometimes). Just think, once you do all that, you'll probably be ready to build your own next time (or near to)