I just had a WTF?! moment during my build, please help.

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hi guys, I just finished my build yesterday, and when i hooked up my PSU to my motherboard, an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, the iROG chip (small one in the lower right corner) literally went orange and was a moment short from catching fire.. I went like okay wtf? and need help.. I am exchanging the motherboard for a new one as its under a replacement guarantee from my vendor, so could you guys please help me out while my new motherboard arrives? thanks in advance.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
RMA that PSU as well, could be either a PSU fault or motherboard. IROG chip will likely be powered from the 3.3V rail. Any time you get a failure like this ALWAYS RMA the PSU. If you plug that PSU into another board and it has any anomalies on one of the rails, it will damage the motherboard.

On a sidenote,don't rely on just using a PSU tester to confirm if the PSU is faulty or not. The "cheap" PSU testers can't test for AC anomalies, so even if the rail shows the correct voltage and passes the PSU tester's DC tests, there can still be issues with the voltage. After any failure like this, the PSU need to be professionally tested with an oscilloscope.

-Raja

Avyaya

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Guys I doubt its the PSU, because I was using it on my previous PC as I had to test my GPU and it functioned with no issues, Its a seasonic X-series 750 W modular power supply just in case, although I think it might have been because I connected an 8 pin to motherboard. yeah I think i should have mentioned this earlier..