How to convince parents to let me build a gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC7

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
How do I convince my parents to let me build a PC? They won't let me build it even with my own money. I'm only 13 BTW.

Renault4Old

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
find a friend who knows about computers who will help you and try to tell them the pros and cons of building a computer that might convince them :D

Buy a prepaid VISA card. Order the parts online.

Honestly dude, you are 13. Your parents still run your life weather you want to believe it or not. I would suggest trying to explain the benefits of building your own computer vs. buying one. Try to sound knowledgeable. If they think you know what you are doing, they will be more likely to let you do it.

vnaut

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
What are their reasons?

1) Do they not approve of you gaming at all?

2) Are they afraid that you'll mess up the build process and end up with expensive paperweights?
2a) Would they let you build a prebuilt gaming PC?

If it's option 1. . .good luck. If option 2 or 2a, do as the above posters said and show them the build process as well as the money you save from building your own rather than buying prebuilt. (Have a spreadsheet with the specs and cost of a prebuilt against a custombuilt with the same specs)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Actually, vnaut raises a very good point. What sort of budget are you looking at spending? In my opinion, if you're looking to spend $650 or less, you're better off buying a system off the shelf, plus you get the tech support included. It's only after about the $650 mark do you start to see a savings in building your own.

Of course, if it's more about the learning experience than the cost, building is always better.

-Wolf sends

NC7

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
My budget is $800 (plus monitor and mouse and keyboard). Well, I actually missed a detail. My dad would let me do it but my mom won't. My dad knows a lot about PCs and he would help me build it. My mom thinks that I won't know how to build it.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sit down with Dad and watch those videos. It should be review for him, but it should, at least give you guys the ammunition to challenge Mom's denial.

With an $800 budget, I'd ask the other repliers in this thread to come up with $800 builds (monitor, OS, keyboard, mouse, speakers included). Then look at the cost of a similarly spec'ed system.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Here's a build I came up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G215HVBbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA3550RB 68W 2.1ch Speakers ($43.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $796.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-02 19:55 EDT-0400)

I found this system Dell i660-9621BK for $725 shipped. It's close, but only has an integrated graphics card and a 300 watt power supply. If Mom wants to add $100 to your $800, then maybe this would be the way to go. Your remaining $75 plus her $100 would allow you to replace the power supply and add a decent graphics card.

Crarazy

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I kinda want to jump into this and answer with my own question but still along the same lines. How can I convince them from a financial standpoint. I have a well paying job and I have enough money to buy one, but my parents are like you need to save money which I do, I put 25% of all my weekly earnings in the banks which is around $50+ and soon to be more because I'm getting promoted. I have to buy a car but I'll have enough regardless by time its time to buy one November time. And then college, where I don't make enough money to put a scratch in the cost of college. I could use the fact that I passed an A.P. test as leverage to say well this is how much I saved on college, so basically thats what I just put forth towards college. So and suggestions, sorry for potentially stealing the show to kid :p

If you build a good machine, it will be a far better value than what you can buy off the shelf. Because you use good parts, it will physically last longer and by spending a bit more now, you are giving yourself an easy upgrade path which will save money in the long run. Upgrading a machine gradually is cheaper than buying a whole new machine every 3yrs, and you get a better computer for it.

Long term investment basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.