Alienware v. Other Gaming laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm in the market for a gaming laptop. I understand that Desktops are far superior for this purpose and that is my main rig. However I want one to play some games on the couch while I sit with my wife.

I have always heard that alien ware is overpriced but after research on the m14x and others, specifically the Lenovo y500 Ideapad, I can't seem to justify this claim. I'm not trying to strong head a point here, I think I might be missing something. The stats I got for the money were very close, and typically better with the alienware.

note: Lenovo did have a better cost at the time of looking because of a weekly deal, but it ends today and I won't be able to purchase in time for the deal. The base costs however are what I'm considering.

This is in part because I seem stuck with specific configurations with lenovo and others, while with alienware I am free to customize to the degree I like and make use of the cost better. This is also in part because I don't see the need for an SSD on a laptop that would be worth sacrificing more memory, If I had two monitors that would be a different story.

TLDR: when I cook the configurations, I seem to get just as good if not a better value and price with alienware as opposed to others, in particular lenovo. This is to the contrary of what I have always read and heard. Am I missing some superior choice or way of looking at it?

G

Note: I am strictly looking between the 950 to 1500 dollar range, I'm mostly only interested in the m14x alienware, not the higher-end models. -also I don't care about space on the laptop

G

If cost is the only issue, you can get the m17x r4 with a 7970m for less than $1500, but I don't think you will have enough for an extended warranty. I would not go for the m14x. The m17x is better than the m14x in almost every way, and the Clevo W370ET/MSI GE60/Lenovo y500/Asus G46VW offer more performance-for-money than the m14x in most cases. However, the Alienware warranty trumps all of the other warranties.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
The Y500 is on sale on the Lenovo site for as much as $600 off. Later when the Ultrabay GPU go back on sale you can get a 2nd GPU to run SLI when needed.

The 2nd GPU is currently $229, I bought mine for $137.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts