Looking for a 22 or 23 inch IPS LED monitor

kiran12

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I have short listed some monitors so tell me which is better and why?
Dell U2312HM
Dell S2340l
Dell S2240l

My main Usage is watching movies,browsing,playing games(moderate)...

Dell U2312hm has no Hdmi port and has got few Usb ports..I don't know the use of those anyway(In otherwords, i don't know how to use them :) )
Dell s2340l has Hdmi port and few bucks lesser than U2312HM with same size...

Between Dell S2240L is almost half the price of Dell U2312HM with just 1 inch size difference...Is there any major difference in 22 inch with 23 inch..And s2340l is quarter less than U2312HM..Ips monitors have high response time,so will it make big disappointment in online gaming like counter strike ?

I also thinking that putting quarter more price for s2340l and half more for u2312hm compare to S2240l is worth it? (It just a 1 inch difference and i don't wanna spend more )

The only thing that letting me think again is Dell S-series are all glossy screens(catches lighting shadows,which is problem for me as windows is right opposite to my desktop PC.My CRT has the same problem)

I want your suggestion over here to completely kill my confussed state..:D

If there is any Other good ips monitors in some brands like lg,samsung,Aoc etc...except Asus..please give good suggestion..

And tell me when to use HDMI and when to use DVI and quality difference between those and the purpose of USB ports on monitor?

My max price is exactly the price of dell U2312HM...

oddlyinsane

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I personally have the LG IPS 234V. It costs around $200 and it has beautiful colours, response time does not express any ghosting or lag, and no dead pixels.

To answer your question, HDMI is a type of connection. You may be familiar with DVI or VGA. They are essentially video outputs that connect from your graphics card (computer) to your monitor. The difference being that HDMI supports both audio and video. You shouldn't really worry about this as there are a lot of adapters you can use. The quality is exactly the same. USB ports on a monitor allow an easier access to, say, headphones or any type of USB connection.

If you really have the budget, I would recommend the U2312HM. It's tried and trusted. But if you are keen on spending less, then the other alternatives you have suggested are good. 1 inch of a difference is minimal, and should not affect you greatly. IPS monitors are generally quite responsive nowadays, as technology continues to evolve.

If anything, I my personal recommendation would be the LG IPS 234V.

Here's a rundown.
Dell U2312HM- tried an tested, second largest display
Dell S2340l- larger display than U23, for a few dollars less
Dell S2240l- half the price of both the above, with essentially the same features and panel, albeit a smaller screen.

Personally, I would get the U23 if i was willing to spend, but the S22 if I wanted to save money. It's your choice.

As always, remember to select a solution when your question has been answered.

kiran12

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Thanks mate..I should probably go for s2240l and buy some good gaming gears....Coz Dell has good Support here than LG...Between which cable do i use with dell s2240l - DVI or HDMI coz s2240l doesn't have inbuilt speakers...