Sign in with
Your question

Random freezes after fresh format (32/64 bit both bringing same results)

Last response: in Storage
April 3, 2013 8:44:19 AM

I'm working on a clients computer and after a fresh install of Win7 (both 32/64 bit giving same results) I'm getting almost total lockup issues, it almost seems timed. The client came to me with hard drive issues, he was getting hard drive failure bios errors. I was able to swap the hard drive out into my machine and pull his information off. I ran HD Tune and found a few errors nothing drastic so I figured I'd try to do a fresh install of windows seeing as how all the information was already pulled off. I get through the install of windows completely fine, start updating hardware drivers, installing antivirus etc. and after about fifteen minutes of being in the operating system the computer freezes. Upon reboot the machine freezes (or stalls for a very long time) at win loading screen. As stated earlier I'm getting almost total lockup, meaning, the computer seems functional but windows wont open / close but can be moved. I was running a ping test (had to share network connection from my machine due to wireless card driver not being installed which is still running steady while the computer is locked up.

Any thoughts? I originally thought that it might be the CPU overheating to cause the lockups but I would think it would shut down more than likely if overheating was an issue. The reason I thought this was the manufacture CPU fan doesn't spin up faster than a ceiling fan on low. I was able to nix that thought because I ran a temp monitor from within windows and no overheating is present. The computer has 3gb of RAM which is all present in windows, I'm either thinking this is a RAM issue or more than likely a HDD failure issue. Could old errors still be logged in the HDD which casue the issue or is it probably just general failure? I don't currently have a hard drive to test against in the machine to rule out HDD failure although I do have RAM to try.

Any input would be appreciated, if more information is needed just ask, PC details are below.

Gateway GM5626

-Intel Pentium E2180 / 2.0 GHz
-CPU Socket LGA775 Socket
-Chipset Type Intel 945G Express

-3.0 GB
-DDR2 SDRAM
-Memory Speed 667.0 MHz

-Capacity 500.0 GB
-Interface Type Serial ATA-300 Serial ATA
-Spindle Speed 7200.0 rpm

The client installed a GPU which is different from stock and I didn't yet check which one (assuming GPU is not related what so ever)
April 3, 2013 12:03:16 PM

Dereck47 said:
What version of Intel's Matrix Storage Manager are you using?

The last version that Dell has for the GM5626 is 6.2.1.1002.
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?p...

Intel's last version is 8.9.0.1023.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?Dwnld...

If you are using 6.2.1.1002 then try 8.9.0.1023.
If you are using 8.9.0.1023 then try 6.2.1.1002.

I didnt even get to installing the drivers aka Intel Matrix Storage Manager, I will try safemode maybe and poke around. Is that a known issue with this specific machine?
a c 539 G Storage
April 3, 2013 1:09:14 PM

It's not a known issue but a lot of times freezing issues are due to chipset drivers or graphics card drivers.
!