Processor Upgrade From AMD Phenom Ii X6 1045T (Dell Studio 7100 PC)

Hi all,

I have the above system used for Autodesk Inventor in the main. Its often single threaded processing constraints and doing bits which means I am processor bound, I actually have to sit and wait for it (of course I do other things) but its irritating!

Could anyone suggest an upgrade to the processor that will improve things. I can live with less cores, I am after as fast as possible on single thread performance.

Could anyone suggest?
6 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade amd phenom 1045t dell studio 7100
  1. Charlie Farrow said:
    Hi all,

I have the above system used for Autodesk Inventor in the main. Its often single threaded processing constraints and doing bits which means I am processor bound, I actually have to sit and wait for it (of course I do other things) but its irritating!

Could anyone suggest an upgrade to the processor that will improve things. I can live with less cores, I am after as fast as possible on single thread performance.

Could anyone suggest?

The fastest single thread performance on the planet right now is likely going to be a i7-3770k or i7-3930k.

If you have an AM3+ motherboard though, you could update your BIOS and go to the FX8350 AMD which will have close single thread performance.

Now, for your sake, you may want to upgrade your RAM if you're not running at least 8-16 GB of DDR3 1600MHz or better already.
  2. I think the mobo is AM2 :(
    So is that the limit where I am?

I have 16GB of 1333 already :)
    That was last week from 8 and it helped a lot!
  3. Charlie Farrow-1294504 said:
    I think the mobo is AM2 :(
    So is that the limit where I am?

I have 16GB of 1333 already :)
    That was last week from 8 and it helped a lot!

Your processor is AM3, so I'm assuming your motherboard can use AM3 processors, but I'm pretty sure that processor is the best you can use with your mobo.
  4. You could go all they way to a Phenom II X6 1100T...they're pricey if you can find them...but that's as fast as you can go on AM3 socket.

You could buy a new mobo for about $100-120 and a CPU...
  5. Could I upgrade to couple of 8 core intels with mobo or something? I need the single threaded performance but I need total overall speed for rendering.
  6. Do u currently have a graphics card for rendering?
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Processors Dell Phenom CPUs