is an SSD worth getting?

rezowno

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I'm planning on building an £800 ($1200) gaming PC and i have a 3TB hard drive picked out but alot of the high end builds i have seen have SSD's in them, most commonly the 128GB ones.

I just want to know what the benefits an SSD would be and if i should invest £80 ($120) to get one of the 128GB SSD's on top of what i already have.

If you need your computer to boot at lightning speeds, then get an SSD. For games it won't matter much as only the load levels will load quicker. The rest of the game will operate normally. Your OS will feel snappier.

IMO SSD's won't be worth it until their price/gig comes down more. I can get a 2TB HDD cheaper than some SSD's.

A SSD can make your system more feel responsive because of faster read / write speeds. From a gaming perspective, it will not increase your frame rates. The only real improvement will be games will load faster assuming they are installed on the SSD.

I still consider SSD a luxury item. If you are looking to improve gaming performance then the money is better spent on a graphics card... Or a new CPU if it is a bottleneck. Meaning it significantly holds back your GPU's performance.