Building a new Computer, solid advise needed.

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hi all

Recently i upgraded my daughters old computer, to play games with.
It's a old Athlon 64 dual core, with by now 8gig of ram, and a 2 gig GT640 Evga videocard. With a stock (yah HP i hate it) Nettle2 motherboard. I was pleasantly surprised, it even runs crysis 2 pretty smooth in HIGH DETAIL!

Obvious enough times changed!, so i went shopping and made a wishlist. Still i am NOT a techie, or computer guru that spends tons of times catching up on it all.

But i so far shot over the budget in mind of 700usd, total cost are about 940usd.
I was wondering, is this a pretty decent setup? To play most games with satisfaction?

Here are the components.

Memory modules: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R)

(I am not sure but seemed logical, to get 1866 mhz instead of 1600 or so, small price difference)

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

(I have NO desire to overclock at all, if it's on this board i would not even use it. So i saved a little bit of money on this part)

CPU:AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+ - FD6100WMGUSBX

(as the 8 core got to much negative talks about it, while the 6 seems really well received)

Casing: Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition Gaming Chassis Mid Tower Steel Computer Case VL800P1W2N

(Seems to be a pretty cool looking casing, and not to flashy, and cheap! Also has room for a radiator as i like silence)

Power supply:1000W 140mm Fan ATX Power Supply 12V 2.3 EPS12V 2.92 Quad SLI-ready PCI-Express SATA 20/24 PIN Intel AMD by KENTEK

(Got good reviews, and seemed bang for the buck. I know this might be overkill but i do not mind that. Who knows if i ever upgrade)

Main OS drive:SanDisk 64 GB Solid State Drive with Low Power Consumption SDSSDP-064G-G25​

(I want to have SSD drive purely for the speed of it, there expensive tho, hench this brand. It will be ONLY used for the OS)

Video card:EVGA GeForce GTX660 2048MB GDDR5 192-Bit, Dual DVI-D, HDMI, DP and 3-Way SLI Ready GPU Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2660-KR

(Mind you for me it's more 3ds modelling work, then really die hard gaming, i did understand that for the money this is a pretty good choice)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M - Liquid CPU Water Cooling Kit with Pre-filled Coolant and Copper Heatsink

(This i might add later to my list, as it is a near 100 dollars, i do wish it tho. As it would be lot more quiet. Compared to a stock fan that blows in the casing)

I have still tons of hard drives here that are SATA and in perfect shape to be used with this system. I do not buy stuff i do not really need at this time, i was wondering tho.

Is this a pretty good system to be building? My purposes are more into 3ds/blender/zbrush and a occasional game here and there. I also use lots of Adobe Photoshop.

Please for the ones that react, no i do not WISH a INTEL XXX super cpu's. I am a AMD fan always been and will be. No need for fan boy talks either, i am just looking for some improvements in the budget if possible. And what, is worth looking out for when building this system. Or even change...

Thank you for your time, and sorry for my bad grammar i am not English. So bare with my bad typonese here.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Ok, a few things.

- MOBO - Fine

- CPU - Fine

- RAM - for gaming you need only 8GB, no need for 16GB. Also, you'll never notice the difference between 1600 and 1866, so save some money there too. But Corsair Vengeance is a good brand, just make sure that you get the low-profile version.

- Case - Fine

- Power Supply - Here's your first big stumbling block. 1000W is WAYYYYY too much for this rig. You need 650W max. Get an XFX, Seasonic, or Corsair TX series and above. 650W is more than enough for what you have, 750W will cover you now and leave you room to add a second GPU sometime down the road.

Don't be worried about upgrading your components. 650 is more than enough for any upgrades aside from another GPU, and 750 will cover that plus any peripherals easily.

- SSD boot drive - Fine choice on the manufacturer, but consider getting at least 120GB. 64GB will fill up faster than you think.

- GPU - Good choice but stretch for the 660ti for improved performance if you can

- CPU Cooler - Another stumbling block. The rig as you described has no need for an added cooler at all, much less a liquid cooler. Furthermore, closed-loop coolers are not much more effective than good air coolers. So, I would recommend the Noctua D14 if you are going to heavily overclock, or the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for everyday use and light overclocking. The EVO is a really fantastic value - it performs very well and is quite cheap.

:)

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OiwH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OiwH/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OiwH/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.13 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($47.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $933.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-03 22:07 EDT-0400)

First of all, better CPU by far. The 8350 will smoke the old 6100. Better GPU also, the 7870XT will outperform the 660 by a lot.

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Thank you so much ! I eliminated the cooler saving me lots of money. I also checked for the TI version of the card i want (sorry i love EVGA) had very good reliable results with my older computer here.

Total system cost are around 800 dollars..i am very eager to order it now :bounce:
But i take my time, and orientate i will take a good look at the parts you mentioned. And replace some of it, the power supply cost is 60 dollars (for the 1000watt) i mean is it useful to still switch to a lighter one? Seemed cheap to me as it is...

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Few things i want to point out,
The power supply you suggest is 5usd shy, of the one i have in my list with double the power.
The casing is 23usd more then the one i choose, the SSD is a very good one! I did not know there was such a cheap one so i will def look into that one.

The motherboard is little bit more expensive, but it's a ASUS. I am aware of it's good reputation, so i might indeed switch the board out. The RAM you suggest is about the same price so i would not change that.

Then the GPU comparison, makes little sense to me. The GTX660 out perform the one you mention by far. I read a couple of tests back to back. And i also took the liberty to compare specs, the card you suggest runs at 925 MHz
2 GB GDDR5. The one i have in my list runs at 1046 MHz with boost 1111mhz, 2GB DDR5. Now these are marginal figures, certainly for gaming and such i get that. But there is no denying that the GTX is the better choice here.

The CPU, 8 core is a good cpu, however it gets such a bad feedback of critics that i avoided it. The reason to be, that w7 is by far not ready to get the 8core to it's full potential. And i do hate w8 with a passion, i do now have a tablet nor do i have the desire to deal with that horrible UI it has.

There is also a significant price difference to consider, the way i see it "Why should i waste 50usd or so, on a cpu that will not run on it's full potential."

Thus far, my research shows a couple of mentioned products you advise me, are not relevant in my case. However i do thank you for the input, and i will for sure take a peek at that SSD drive you suggested. That seems like a sweet deal to me instead of the Scandisk i got there.

So thank you once again :)

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
The GPU I mentioned has relatively the same performance as your GPU, while being way cheaper. Sure you'll lose just 3-4 FPS in a game, but you'll save around $50.

The CPU is the best CPU AMD has right now. You cannot accept that your outdated 6100 is better than the new 8350. If you don't want to do that, at least get a FX6300, that's a good budget CPU.

The MOBO isn't ASUS, its AsRock, and that MOBO is pretty good. Although I kinda blundered on the MOBO, get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519&name=AMD-Motherboards
Good MOBO, and reliable.

Your power supply is no brand, cheap, and low quality. Kentek? Never heard of it. The one I listed is rated Bronze 80 Plus, good brand, and rightly priced. You must never cheap out on the PSU, ask anyone on the forums, and they'll agree mine is the better PSU.

The case is mostly personal preference.

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
EDIT: I found out that indeed the KENTEK, is deemed unreliable as such. How shocking this is for a normal user as me. I see on Amazon.com such a great reviews. Even when i google it it gets a massive 4 out of 5 star (great product) review.

I am a honest man, and i do apologize for being skeptic, at your initial post. I think tho, that it should be healthy to even question people about there advise. Often leads to own conclusions like i did now.

I have looked around, and i am probably switching to Thermaltake Power Supply 240-Pin 600 Power Supply W0388RU

That is around 60 dollars, i have no need for a modular psu. Seems to suffice for what i want it to do.

I seen a OCZ psu, not sure what that is either.

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
A brand name has reputation. That's like going to Payless and getting a shoe that'll last you 2 months. If you had gotten a Nike, then your shoe would last 1 year. Same goes with this. This brand isn't even on AMD certified power supplies.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/certified-power-supplies.aspx

I don't know where you got your reviews, but that power supply is cheap, and probably has a fake SLI logo.

Your CPU, the 6300 has better clock speed with incredible overclocking ability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352890-28-6100-zambezi-6300-vishera

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/365208-28-fx6100-fx6300

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

I am still in serious doubt to get the 8core, but if you look around. It is not really well supported by the OS i prefer to run (W7).
I have a laptop here running W8 and i totally dislike the entire OS (mainly for UI reasons).

Is this cpu worth it to begin with?
To go back to the overclock ability of the CPU, is for me not really relevant. I am not a "die hard" gamer that has to have every ounce out of a cpu. To just score, a few decimals more on a benchmark.

I would like to know IF w7 will ever support it, and what the true advantages are of the 8 core over the 6 core (noticeable)

Thank you.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

It should be a huge red flag if a PSU's price is much lower than its peers. In this case, as mentioned it's a no-name PSU with reliability issues. Never trust Amazon reviews for power supplies - go to JohnnyGuru or a similar site that does comprehensive testing.

The PSU recommended by ballerslife is a good one. Another option would be the Corsair TX-650 V2.

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Ok i just ordered it all ! After reading, what you guys gave me on information.

Mobo: ASRock MB-970EX4 Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ AMD Quad CrossFireX& nVidia SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
Vidcard : EVGA GeForce GTX660 2048MB GDDR5 192-Bit, Dual DVI-D, HDMI, DP and 3-Way SLI Ready GPU Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2660-KR
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R)
Cpu: AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition Processor Socket AM3+ - FD8120FRGUBOX
Cpu cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M - Liquid CPU Water Cooling Kit with Pre-filled Coolant and Copper Heatsink
Harddisk: Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW
Casing: Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition Gaming Chassis Mid Tower Steel Computer Case VL800P1W2N
PSU/Powerunit: Thermaltake Power Supply 240-Pin 600 Power Supply W0388RU

As you noticed is did some changes, mainly the CPU choice from 6 to 8. Mobo changed as well as i like Asus and seems to be a very good board. To support future upgrades. I also went for a Samsung ssd 128gb instead of the scandisk. I found out that, the Samsung gets really good ratings, and seems the better brand. More important change, is that i indeed ordered a Thermaltake power supply, so this should be a pretty good gamers rig.

I got here a 19inch LCD still, but i will replace it with a paycheck to a nice HDMI panel.
So what you guys think? Did i do good?

The grand total for all this is

$844.97,

I know it's a bit above the intended budget, but i managed to loosen up somewhat more budget along the line :D

Good luck with your build. I do wish you would have gone with a higher quality PSU. The Thermaltake one you got is probably a step up from the original one you had listed, but it's still not a high quality PSU.

The things to look for in a quality PSU are active PFC (Power Factor Correction), at least 80+ certification, and a reputable brand with quality reviews from a good site like JohnnyGuru. The PSU you picked doesn't have active PFC (the little red switch on the back is a dead giveaway - when you see those move along). Your PSU is also only 72% efficient. The PSUs suggested to you were 80+ BRONZE certified (85%).

Going with a sub-par PSU is a mistake you'll only make once. I wish I would have seen this thread before you ordered your parts.

In your price range these two would be a significant upgrade to the Thermaltake.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657+50001459+4026+600014140+600029978&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=58&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Another good option:

XFX Core Edition PRO550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=XFX%20550&IsVirtualParent=1

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Hi there

I did some research and looked around, i cancelled the Thermaltake for this one
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600). This one is certified what not, so this really should do.
I think from a technical point of view, most PSU are actually not much to look at. I opened up a couple by now, it's from a technical point of view a absolute joke what you pay for (China anyone) regardless of brand or make.

Still i would not want to blow out a entire rig, with a compromised PSU, so this one should do i hope! :??:

Yes, the Corsair CX 600 will be a great PSU for your system. The CX is at the bottom of the Corsair lineup, but there's really nothing wrong with them. You can't go wrong with a PSU from a reputable manufacturer that has active PFC and is 80+ BRONZE certified. Good choice!

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Hi

Thank you for the tip ! I cancelled the other one, and the CX should ship pretty soon. Today, totally unexpected the dropped of a package. To my big surprise it's my Seidon 240 Coolmaster water cooler system !! So awesome, neatly packed and ready to rock in my new rig! :bounce:
As far as i can tell, the other parts should be here around the 17th of April. I will make pics whenever i done building it all. I am glad i made the right choices for my new computer. And i wanted to thank you guys for helping me out thus far it's very appreciated!

8350rocks

Distinguished

Looks good man, best of luck with your new build! You should enjoy it well!

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

dscf1277q.jpg

I had some serious issues with the casing, as its to tight and not liquid cooler friendly at all.
I wish i known this, on the other hand, i am not the type that start cussing and give up.
For each problem there is a solution. So i took my trusty, Dremel out the garage, and started working on the case.
The cooler now is fitted on top of the casing, this has 2 downsides (yes, yes i beat you guys to it i am sure of)

1 It will blow in nice cold air into the casing, but when the coolant is warm and radiator heats up it will blow in warm air.

I know this is not ideal, far from it, however normally this cooler is inside a casing, doing not much different. In vice versa, as the temp in the casing rises. It will throw warm air through the radiator too. I know, right it's a lose, lose situation. However, best would be just to make the whole radiator stand alone!! Away from any case.

But this will do !

2 DUST !!

I am sure it will dust up, so i am working now myself on a simple yet effective way to make a dust filter. What i had in mind was getting one of those steel mesh baskets from wal mart (nice and cheap) and line it in with finer mesh (such as bug screens). And simply put it over the entire cool kit. This way, it will have enough airflow. And it will not dust up, plus it protects the whole kit!

Well now all i do is wait for my CPU, it seems so far so good! I put in a barracuda 1tb harddisk, and i zipped up the SSD ( as i am still waiting for my bracket) This is purely to secure it in place, as it's like paperweight during my build.

I hope this is enjoyable!

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
Nice build, but did you get the 840 PRO series? And I see you didn't take my advice on the PSU... But congrats on choosing 8 core, but you should have went with Piledriver, but it doesn't make a difference. The rest looks good. Congrats on the new build! :)

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Well it was just a tad overkill for what i currently have, however it's cool. Tho i am still waiting on, my CPU it should arrive FINALLY tomorrow or the day after!
I did get for the SSD my bracket in today, so it's nicely in the slot now fitting and all. I gave the Samsung drive 1 star less for it tho, pretty lame that you have to order a BRACKET to fit the drive in a slot. Specially seen the price i paid for it :no:, however i try to work as neat as i can by using zip ties what not. I seen a guy in here using black tape, that seemed the wrong way of keeping cables out of the way ! :lol:

More will follow soon!

NOTE: I did follow partial advise in getting a Corsair 80% bronze certified PSU. So this will do , in my budgetrange!

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Ok so finally got it all build !!

Overclocked and all being stable as it is, i would not push it no more. As i tried various clock methods.
Here some specs, i am very content with my build, and i will post pics in the appropriate topic here on the forum.

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 8 Cores - 8 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor
CPU EXT : MMX(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, XOP, FMA4
CPUID : F.1.2 / Extended : 15.1
CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 64 / 8 x 16 KB - L2 : 4 x 2048 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
Core : Zambezi (32 nm) / Stepping : OR-B2
Freq : 4185.17 MHz (270.01 * 15.5)
MB Brand : ASRock
MB Model : 970 Extreme4
NB : AMD RD9x0 rev 02
SB : AMD SB910/950 rev 40
GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
DirectX Version : 11.0
RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 540 MHz (1:2) @ 6-6-6-15
Slot 1 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Corsair
Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Corsair

2779076.png

I just added the pic to show you it's really clocked as such. I know there people, on the list that have astronomic clock frequencies out of this cpu. I have no clue on how to do this, but a 1 ghz gain, i do call a successful overclock!
It runs very stable, and even stressed, with my fans on pretty much minimal (got quiet control on) it's temp is not even reaching 45celcius (!!). I love the Seidon 240 cooler, it keeps it really cool! Without blasting the fans on full..

michel1980

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

And how does that work? I did not know i had to choose as i thought was just a normal tread?
Feel free to enlighten me, sorry if i sound like a noob now :pt1cable: