failed to load black screen wierd noise and quick beep every other second

Apr 4, 2013
when i start up my computer no screen loads and the computer makes a "errr ter errr ter errr ter errr" noise then eventualy make a quick beep then another quick beep every other second and still has a blank screen.

it does this at random. i can start the computer and it will load fine then i can turn it off and back on and it wont start (then make the noise) then reset and load fine or not reset and make the beeping noise. and when it does load fine it shows a error saying: "DQS training failed on previous boot, revert to lower speed."

my dad updated everything, even the bios and for some reason it works fine at his shop but screws up at my place

i do have some minor problmes with my graphics card. (clipping, freezing if gaming graphics not set to lowest ect.)

the computer has been sitting around for 3 yrs, but other than this it works fine.

Apr 4, 2013

i dont have any new parts.

i do have some minor problmes with my graphics card. (clipping, freezing if gaming graphics not set to lowest ect.)

the computer has been sitting around for 3 yrs, but other than this it works fine.

EDIT: the computer was made custome by dell when vista was out. its a xp computer with xp parts that are probaly over 5 yrs old at time of computer being built

EDIT 2: the computer cost me 3000$

Apr 4, 2013

dad thinks its because the house is old and the computer is not getting enough juice

Apr 4, 2013

i live in a lodging home in hamilton where it was built in the 1700's or 1800's and the room i live in has 2 prong outletts and uses a 2 prong to 3 prong converter.

the outlet is full because of the following

1. room-mate's house arrest machine (must never unplug)

2. phone

3. dsl/router.

4. serge protector (wich another surge protector is plugged into (for lenght) and then everything needed for computer is plugged into 2nd surge protector.

i cannot go into another room.

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
well if you're using 2 surge protectors in line (which isnt safe) and other things are plugged in, that's probably your issue. So yea and you said it worked at your fathers place just fine with no issues, and the error you get can be a error with ram or not enough power, so looks liek you found the answer lol

Apr 4, 2013

well theres another plug but ill need to get a converter...

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
yea gotta love the ungrounded plugs (i have seen my fair share when i was a installation tech for a wireless internet company, pain in the butt because alot of times they have issues with dirty power~power surges and static) just pick one up and try it on the different outlet and hope its not in parallel with the other one and hopefully you'll be up and running

Apr 4, 2013

it probally is parrell. if this doesent work ill test the plug with a meter then go from there.

what is unsafe about two surge protectors??

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
if they are daisy chained (plugged into eachother) with things plugged into it, your increasing its load exponentially, and anything actually plugged into the first surge protector isnt really protected anymore. the other issue is its a really bad fire hazzard.

Apr 4, 2013

is there any detailed information link you can give me about the possible power problmes so i can read up?

so the computers arent protected anymore???

Apr 4, 2013

what if i were to use the surge protector first then chain a regular power bar to it?

EDIT: lenght is a issue! if i use one bar the computer cords will not reach and i cant pull the bed out far enough for the only other wall plug