Upgrade GPU from HD 5770 for The Secret World?

I'm currently running a system that was upgraded back when WoW: Cataclysm was released (December 2010). Based on specs and value, I chose an HD 5770 and have been very, very happy with the performance of the card since then.

However, I'm currently playing The Secret World, and my little old card is just barely chugging along. I play around 30-50 fps (sometimes it dips lower) depending on how much is happening on-screen, with settings essentially at minimum.

I've been poking around and trying to read up, but to my understanding TSW is basically just really GPU intensive. I have no issues with other games (BF3 plays great, for example), but since I spend a LOT of time in TSW I'd considering upgrading the card to try to push toward "medium settings".

Would there be a suggestion for a card that is an actual upgrade (the HD 7770, for example, looks like a sidegrade) that isn't going to break my bank? I was hoping to keep my budget at ~$200 max. If not, I'll probably be doing a rebuild with CPU, GPU, Mobo, etc., within the next year or two.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model MS-7576
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V3.11, 5/24/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume6
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.35 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.0 GB
Page File Space 8.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade gpu 5770 secret world
  1. Get new CPU. If I were you I would get Intel mobo and Intel CPU (i3 but I really recommend i5 if you can).
    But for 5770 and 7770 its not a sidegrade. Its just like changing from 7750 to 7770.
  2. tadej petric said:
    Get new CPU. If I were you I would get Intel mobo and Intel CPU (i3 but I really recommend i5 if you can).
    But for 5770 and 7770 its not a sidegrade. Its just like changing from 7750 to 7770.

Looks like I missed the 7770 in my scattered googling over the last few weeks. That's exactly the sort of card I was looking for, thanks!

And I know the CPU is probably more of a bottleneck for me at the moment. My long term budget is to do a re-build and swap over to an i5 or i7. I run an i5 in my notebook, and it's been very impressive. However that's a mono+cpu+power upgrade that for which I'll need to budget a little bit more.
  3. CrowingOne said:
    tadej petric said:
    Get new CPU. If I were you I would get Intel mobo and Intel CPU (i3 but I really recommend i5 if you can).

Looks like I missed the 7770 in my scattered googling over the last few weeks. That's exactly the sort of card I was looking for, thanks!

And I know the CPU is probably more of a bottleneck for me at the moment. My long term budget is to do a re-build and swap over to an i5 or i7. I run an i5 in my notebook, and it's been very impressive. However that's a mono+cpu+power upgrade that for which I'll need to budget a little bit more.

No problem!

And about upgrading I would buy i3 3220 (100$) and get Asus P8B75-V (80$). I would keep your graphics for year or two.
    But no need of total rebuild. Just replace parts every so often and youll be fine.
  4. tadej petric said:
    CrowingOne said:
    tadej petric said:

No problem!

And about upgrading I would buy i3 3220 (100$) and get Asus P8B75-V (80$). I would keep your graphics for year or two.
    But no need of total rebuild. Just replace parts every so often and youll be fine.

A big part is that my current mobo is on the cheaper side, and I'm starting to see the very, very early signs that it'll kick the bucket sooner rather than later. If I'm going to replace the mobo, I'd be silly to not also upgrade my CPU. HDDs and the like are fine, but now that I have the resources (I didn't two years ago) I'm going to take advantage of it :)

But the 7770 does look perfect for me! Once I replace the CPU and mobo, I should be good for a pretty decent amount of time.
  5. CrowingOne said:
    tadej petric said:
    CrowingOne said:
    tadej petric said:

No problem!

A big part is that my current mobo is on the cheaper side, and I'm starting to see the very, very early signs that it'll kick the bucket sooner rather than later. If I'm going to replace the mobo, I'd be silly to not also upgrade my CPU. HDDs and the like are fine, but now that I have the resources (I didn't two years ago) I'm going to take advantage of it :)

But the 7770 does look perfect for me! Once I replace the CPU and mobo, I should be good for a pretty decent amount of time.

Good.
    If you need anything else just ask!
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Graphics