Slow Laptop.. Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chetan Madaan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hi -

i have a Sony Vaio E Series Laptop i bought in October 2010.

Here are the specs:
- 500 GB toshiba Hard disk
- 4 GB Ram
- i3 Processor
- Windows 7
- Wifi/LAN/Blutooth
- and pretty much everything a basic laptop may have.

Now, this is getting slow day by day and i understand why... i work as a web developer and work on my laptop most of the time... here are the reasons why i think my laptop is slow.

- i use it for more than 14 hours a day.
- i have almost 9 - 10 applications running all the time(Ms outlook, Firefox (with firebug), Chrome, Notepad++, Filezilla, Livezilla, Youtube(yes, in firefox... but flash sometimes takes up a lot of memory) and few small one's from time to time).
- i haven't got it cleaned up in last three years.

My question to the experts is: will upgrading the RAM or Processor to i7 help me fasten up the things?

Thank you so much to anyone who may be replying.

USAFRet

Titan
- i haven't got it cleaned up in last three years.

When was it last reinstalled, and when was it last defragged? Check your startup apps to see how much extra junk is running that you don't need.

Fix the cause of the slowness, not put a bigger engine in it.
Although more ram is usually never a bad idea. And I doubt you can swap the processor.

Chetan Madaan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Thanks!

i know start up programs probably slows up the system and there is only one i have.
Teamviewer.

True... swapping the processor will be a heck of a deal and i won't be doing it... i will consider doing the RAM though.

It was never reinstall at all. i was never defragged at all.

doxtor

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
try to clean your system with soft like wintoolspro (file,registry,startup cleaning)

90Gb+ ssd drives are the boosters #1 they will turn your slow machine into brand-new like )

USAFRet

Titan

Before you go hacking away at it with more software:
Defrag
Disk Cleanup (Right click on the drive, Properties, General...look for the Disk Cleanup button

Chetan Madaan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

I don't think if i agree on this one... my Understanding is that hardware does slows down by time.. all part of it is right that keeping so many unused software may consume a lot of memory.

rosefire

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I recommend updating your drivers and getting a few help apps such as SlimWare Utilities or SlimDrivers.
Another good app is Defraggler also Speccy all made by Piriform www.piriform.com.
I get all of these at CNET http://download.cnet.com/

USAFRet

Titan

The hardware still runs at the same speed, or is trying to. That there may be too much crap is the issue.
Hardware may break and not run, but if it runs, the electrons still move at the same speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.