Is this a decent gaming computer??

thezac2613

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I am looking to buy a new computer for media production, programming and gaming. I don't know much about computer internals, so I would love some opinions from people that know more.

The computer that i am looking at it an Asus CM6870-US012S. (link below)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---Desktop---16GB-Memory---2TB-Hard-Drive/6957728.p?id=1218817160155&skuId=6957728

I want to use it to play battlefield 3, crysis 3, and other "demanding" titles on high or top quality settings.

I realize that I may have to swap the graphic card, but will the other hardware support these games?

If this computer would not work well, what would I have to install or change to allow it to?

All help is greatly appreciated:bounce:

As long as you are aware of the graphics card's limitations, I think you're okay - you will likely need to change the PSU (300W in there) in order to upgrade the graphics card.

Personally, I would recommend a computer capable of being overclocked such as building it yourself (not that hard) or using a custom gaming computer builder such as (but not limited to) CyberPowerPC, iBuyPower, Falcon Northwest or...

thezac2613

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
What determines if the computer can be overclocked?
The cpu is an Intel 3770 so I thought it could be overclocked.:??:
Is overclocking and hyperthreading the same?

With an Intel CPU, an unlocked multiplier (there is a "k" at the end of the CPU model number to designate the CPU is unlocked) in combination with a "Z" or "P" (Z68, Z77, P67) motherboard gives the ability to overclock. With a Core i7-3770k or Core i5-3570k (Ivy Bridge), the Z77 chipset is the most complimentary. In most all pre-built systems (Dell, Acer, HP and even Asus) overclocking options are locked to prevent corruption of the computer by inexperienced yet curious users which is why I suggest DIY or a boutique builder. Dell's gaming division, "Alienware" (close to a boutique builder) does offer unlocked CPU's on their higher end models but I would imagine (guessing here, I am unsure of this) they are somewhat hobbled by Dell.

Hyperthreading is the ability of the CPU to create virtual additional CPU cores to improve computations. The Core i7 (or any CPU featuring hyperthreading) can act as though it has twice as many CPU cores as it physically does (very basic definition) and is a function of the CPU itself.

thezac2613

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Okay that makes sense, thank you. :)

My last question is: are cpus swappable? For example, later down the road could I swap the i7 3770 to an i7 extreme, or even a i7 Haswell? Simply, are they one-size-fit-all?

I wasn't going to go into the various sockets unless you asked so here goes. Although the current Intel CPU's use sockets 1155 and 2011, the next generation, Haswell will use a new socket called 1150 and 2011, the next, Broadwell will also be on the same (according to current rumours). Current Core i3 and i5 CPU's are only available for socket 1155 while i7 CPU's come in 1155 and 2011 socket styles. The difference in the socket numbers represent the pins connecting the CPU to the motherboard - yes the 2011 is a bigger CPU and the associated chipset, the X series (not mentioned before as overclockable - it is) has more features available but then you are getting into the higher end and cost increases exponentially in that arena (super enthusiast/professional) - a big factor in why Alienware is so expensive, their better desktop systems are usually built on the socket 2011 platform (why you see different CPU model numbers at the alienware site).
Intel CPU's designed for one socket cannot work in another (AMD doesn't always follow this with sockets AM2+, AM3 and AM3+ being somewhat interchangable) but there is a question of whether a particular motherboard will support a particular processor even though the socket is right. Sometimes a CPU upgrade can be accomplished with a BIOS update (called 'flashing') but some CPU's simply aren't supported
I probably just confused you but I hope not...

thezac2613

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Okay so I would have to get a new motherboard that supports the different connection tion type on the cpu. But realistically, if I was going to go that route, I would be better with buying a more expensive setup.

:)Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. :)

Although in most cases I would argue against the 2011 socket (due to cost/benefit - no real benefit for games), in your case I think a socket 2011 system could be a good fit mostly because of the media applications - the "k" rule for unlocked procesors is still valid but the "X" models are also unlocked.