Early OUYA Android Console Reviews Aren't Encouraging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Not gonna say I didn't see this coming. I was just gonna say there really isn't a HUGE market for this type of console, but then apparently, in this article, people are saying they pretty much failed on the console itself. Kind of like a double whammy. Good luck to them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do well at all.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
To me, it's a nice idea, only that the release wasn't ready. They are, probably, pushing units through the fabs and working on the software side as a second phase...

Maybe we should wait for the OUYA2?

Anyway, I'll be going with a PS4.. I'm a PC guy with a real interest in consoles for their exclusive games (God of War anyone??)...

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ricardok[/nom]To me, it's a nice idea, only that the release wasn't ready. [/citation]

Honestly, I don't know if the concept is that good to begin with. A console that plays Android games doesn't sound like something that'd pull me away from my PC or PS3, while a smartphone/tablet with mini-HDMI could complement both of those in the same way while offering far more functionality and portability. There are already wireless controllers for current Android devices as it is.

I'm not sure what their angle is with this, frankly. It's like having the worst aspects of mobile devices and consoles but none of the advantages.

Saw this coming the minute they put a Tegra 3 in it. mobile CPUs are still a year or two away from being able to handle what one would want from a console and a big screen. like many have said, OUYA2 may hit the mark. though unfortunately OUYA isn't Microsoft or Sony, if this one doesn't succeed, we'll have to wait for another company to pick up the pieces

felix666

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
With consumer products, everything is about the surface finish and not on the core functionality. Think of Linux vs Windows or Apple. Think of the first Linux distis. Open source is open source, not saying at all that is isn't good, but there aren't millions and millions invested into the good looks of the UI and to the ease of installation. Even if the hardware shows a good performance, the rest of the ecosystem may just never reach par with the consoles from the game giants. I wish it will, but it may also just become some niche product, unless a killer game appears. But wouldn't that same killer game be available on the other consoles, and on the droid tablets as well? The developers need to feed their families. Good luck Ouya, the marketplace is tough!

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
No surprise here. OUYA is the jack of all trades yet a master of none. It has a severe case of identity crisis. Sure, it looks like something that a "hacker" would love, but that's a very, very, very small population to base a product on. I think this thing was the "console" analog to the Facebook IPO. Everyone loved talking about it, but it will end up just being "meh."

Sadly, the future of consoles (and video games) is streaming. Going backwards in time and building a native console around an old Tegra3 platform was a surefire way to flop their debut.

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
This was obvious. Don't expect AAA quality gaming from a $99 cube. You're better off buying a 3DS or vita or just stick with a smartphone if you want something portable and casual.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
TBH I'm not sure the concept is all that solid to start with. Just about everyone I know likes playing on their PCconsolebox more than on their phone, and only plays phone games when they are bored. And even if this did succeed I think we would all realized that phone game really are no good, and that we just have lowered expectations since, well, since they're on a phone.

[citation][nom]Immoral Medic[/nom]Not gonna say I didn't see this coming. I was just gonna say there really isn't a HUGE market for this type of console, but then apparently, in this article, people are saying they pretty much failed on the console itself. Kind of like a double whammy. Good luck to them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do well at all.[/citation]
I think we all saw this coming with Tegra3 was announced as the processing platform. Plus it is going to take time to build up fab production for volume ordering in order to get price down so that better hardware can get crammed in there.

I still think that it will succeed for what it is, and that it will get MUCH better in just 2-3 years, but indie gaming is rarely my cup of tea, and I have plenty of other system that are more capable of playing them, so I am not too hot on the idea of buying another redundant product. The goal is to have a few high quality products that do a bunch of things well... not a sea of cheap things that do little to nothing well.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Um, yes, it is too early to give a review based on a pre-production version of the device.

Not to mention, there's far more you can do with this device than play big-screen smartphone games. I especially like how Mr. Parrish failed to note that reports show that the XBMC functionality of the Ouya is fantastic. Seems to me that the Ouya could be a cheap, very low-power alternative for Roku-type boxes, except with far more potential.

Yeah, Tegra 3 isn't anything amazing. It can do what the Ouya needs it to do just fine, though, and you can't expect them to stick a brand-new, top-of-the-line SoC in there and keep the cost at under a hundred.

Oh, and plus the whole development was pre-funded by Kickstarter supporters. So, it's really kind impossible for it to "flop" with what amounts to 8 million dollars in preorders.

Disclaimer: I am not an Ouya backer. Heck, I've never even owned an Android device. But the people bashing it really don't seem to know what they're talking about. Hint: it does not have to sell the same sort of numbers as a mainstream console to be a success. Heck, the Ouya is already far more successful than the creators ever dreamed, and it hasn't even been released yet (outside of the pre-retail versions being "reviewed").

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
The thing that put me off in the first place was the lack of Google Play access! I'd love to play mini games. OUYA was designed to be 'open'. Hope someone hacks OUYA and makes it work with Google Play.

OUYA should make a custom Android software which remaps swipes, touches and accelerometer movements into controller movements or keys. Just like what Archos has did with their Gamepad.

dillonpeterliam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I think people are wrong when comparing this to the PS3/4 or Xbox, If I was to buy this it would be for my daughter and her cousins/friends, so they dont get my tablet/phone or console sticky! or break them. I think its been taking a little to seriously.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
They'll need time to make a nice UI, or even the help of the open-source community after people start modding them.. The hardware is good, hopefully they correct the wifi issue. $99 ain't bad, even if the software is a bit glitchy, that's normal, especially for a startup

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Damn this is shame, they shouldn't have shipped beta product, no matter how good final product is this fiasco will hurt their sales.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
What do they expect its a smart phone in a box with a custom controller and interface also the games won't have killer graphics either because they are designed for that type of hardware.
For $99 what do they expect ps4 power and graphics? will never happen remember that those games are designed for small screens so they are low resolution.

[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]No surprise here. OUYA is the jack of all trades yet a master of none. It has a severe case of identity crisis. Sure, it looks like something that a "hacker" would love, but that's a very, very, very small population to base a product on. I think this thing was the "console" analog to the Facebook IPO. Everyone loved talking about it, but it will end up just being "meh." Sadly, the future of consoles (and video games) is streaming. Going backwards in time and building a native console around an old Tegra3 platform was a surefire way to flop their debut.[/citation]

Streaming will not catch on until full cable/fibre penetration takes place, in the USA that isn't happening.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
At first I thought this may fail because people can just connect their Android tablet or phone to a joypad and TV to get the same thing as what OUYA is offering. But then when I found out you are not even allowed to play your Android games on the OUYA then I realised it would definitely fail. Then on top of that, if you want a weak device to play games on, then you might as well just play games directly on your Android TV.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Makes me wonder if they're really planning on doing much with this in the future, or just counting on hackers to do all their programming for them. And it sounds like one good lawsuit will sink the whole thing.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
It's failing because there is no "must have item". Like Halo for XBOX or Metal Gear Solid for PS1. (both were new consoles when introduced/launched). Indie developers have shown why they are hobbiest and not professionals. There simply isn't enough time (kickstarter to roll out in 9 months, but developers have to wait for the OUYA team to get their crap together) to develop what consumers are looknig for ...a polished 3D accelerated game. 99 bucks or not Tegra 3 is fully capable of giving out some great effects for 99 bucks.

The ONLY reason this will fail is because indie developers don't have what it takes to be professional developers. That's why they are indie. We now see that the big 3, with their 200,000 USD Developer Kits are simply just weeding out companies that would produce bad product. MS is the worst at it as it's 10k-15k every time you want to update or upload a version to xbox.

PS4, the next xbox and Wii U have no interest to me. it's the first time in 30 years where I have ZERO desire to own a console. PC is here to stay for me. NOt a boring, run of the mill Windows one at that either. OUYA can still survive if it has MUST HAVE content, which includes a rich story/good plot, okay graphics (in 3D) and gameplay desire enough to keep people playing. Without it, its just a HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.