Need to recover files off hard-drive

chazman17

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
So a friend of mine wants to get a couple files off his old computer. His computer is bloated with virus and just god-awfully slow. It's runs and turns on but it's just so slow with Windows it's not worth booting into that. So I want something that I can boot off a disc that is noob friendly and easy to use so I can access his hard-drive and collect the files he wants, put them on USB and give them to him. Any help would be great!

Lisan al-Gaib

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Get any kind of Linux OS flavors you like, they boot up from disk/usb easily. Or you can just take the hard drive out and attach to your desktop PC to retrieve the files.

chazman17

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

There is nothing corrupt about it... I intend to reformat it after. It's just bloated and slow where it isn't worth bothering to boot into windows. I have heard though that I could use Linux. His computer is Windows XP

Lisan al-Gaib

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
If you need to know how to make a bootable Linux, try using this: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/. Directions are at the bottom. Don't need to install, just run it from disc/usb and retrieve the files. Linux should have no issues with the Windows partition.