Sign in with
Your question

ASUS p9x79 deluxe bios update from windows - will this require win7 reinstall?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 5, 2013 2:53:43 AM

If I update my bios using the ASUS Update program, will I need to reinstall windows?

how many times can I reactivate windows 7 ultimate on same machine without a problem? I thought it was 3 and I am already pretty close to that (useless limit - asus diagnostics, a windows utility from the support dvd, wiped windows off my system).

if you don't know, either don't answer or say I don't know.

I have my windows on a 4TB drive and it installed to a 2048TB partition. the unpartitioned space is untouchable. I have UEFI, but not sure if I always had UEFI cd boot during windows installs, because this shuffled around a lot, drag and drop setting DID NOT KEEP and boot devices listed shifted around too and changed in quantity - bizarre.
I would like to know if it would be a good idea to extend the partition to 4TB, or whether I should leave it at 2048TB.
I would also like to know if the bizarre behavior is possibly due to the lack of a battery. video card is covering the battery socket.

April 5, 2013 6:22:12 AM

You can update the BIOS using the EZ-BIOS flash utility. I have used it multiple times and it is extremely stable. Consult the website on how to obtain the BIOS files and how to do it.

Updating the BIOS will not require you to re install or reactivate windows.

In regards to your partition, I find spinning hard drives need to be partitioned to keep performance. As you write closer and closer to the center of the disk, performance decreases. Having a partition allows you to only write to the out most portions of the disk.
April 5, 2013 6:34:50 PM

is there a way to save the CMOS configuration to floppy or disk like on HP boxes? I have a USB floppy drive.

!