Is my PC bottlenecked??

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
I just started playing Borderlands 2 and experienced extreme lag whilst playing and when I starting googling fps drop solutions they typically said that the cpu was bottlenecking the system. It's not just BL2 either, it's games like Skyrim too. I found that in the video settings on skyrim that it was using nvidia gt 530 which was my very 1st card and I've had 2 since then? http://gyazo.com/0d3e8dfe17aebcfa7032af18f4c0aa5d << screencap of skyrim options using old card
I figured that maybe some of my games are using some of my old graphics card drivers and clashing with my current ones :/ I'll mention that the lag is basically the same in Skyrim as in Borderlands 2 as in I can stand still and things will run smooth but when I turn the game drops from 60 to like 5 fps, the game freezes for 1-2 seconds at a time which just seems like I can't handle it even though My rig is decent and can play, say battlefield 3 in ultra 60 fps no issues. I also tested the CPU usage whilst playing and shotting/ using explosives and it never really raised 50% So it doesn't look like it's my CPU.
My specs are as follows;

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8 gb ramm
GPU: Asus GTX 660 ti DCU Top, which can be clocked faster than a 670
Motherboard: Dell XPS 8300 motherboard idk..
Case: Aerocool xPredator x1 w/ a 5 fans including corsair

The system could maybe still be using old drivers from my old gt 530 card which shouldn't be happening as I recently used a driver sweeping software in prep for my 660 ti. My graphics card drivers are brand new and up to date but games still detect the old one. Also Skyrim never even saw my GT 530 as I had a 560 ti when I bought Skyrim, which definitely means that there are traces of GT 530 on my pc. Could I have sweeped the old drivers wrong, does anybody recommend any really good devices to eliminate ALL drivers so I can try again and then install new drivers?
ANY help is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Well, the system looks to be strong enough to me!
First off, reset everything you can to factory defaults to give yourself a level playing field.
Next, download the latest drivers for sound, video and motherboard.
Then uninstall those drivers and restart into Safe Mode.
Use the driver sweeping software and restart when it's done.
Manually check (this can be a pain) all the files and folders that should be deleted have been deleted.
Install the downloaded drivers Motherboard/chipset>sound>video.
You might also try Ccleaner to sweep the registry, just be sure to save a copy of said registry when it offers the option.

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013

Ok, thanks a lot for the response and this advice is basically what I wanna be doing :) I understand that I basically need to completely uninstall everything and erase all traces of my old card. There is unfortunately a problem with updating my motherboard drivers as it's a dell motherboard and I can't mine on the Dell website. I'm gonna go on Dell forums and ask someone if they can provide me with a motherboard bios update if that is needed and then perform the rest of the update/ reinstall process. At my mate's tonight so will get on the physical sides of things tomorrow.

I did n't mean a BIOS update, mate, just the motherboard/chipset drivers.
Good idea on the Forum search, wish you luck but if you cannot find updated drivers, obviously do NOT do the uninstall bit ;), I very much doubt that updating or replacing the current MB/Chipset drivers will be a help with this issue anyway.

Cazzaa

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Yeah yeah I get it, probably don't need to screw with the mbo settings as my problem is graphical. So yeah good, I'm just gonna google how to update my mobo/chipset drivers and the rest of the step you recommended ;) Cheers again

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Okay, I've just got round to attempting to update my stuff but ran into 2 hiccups. First, what do I need to do to update my sound drivers because I don't have a sound card, I plug my headset and mic into the front of my case. Do you mean I need to update my audio software like realtek? That's the software that came with my PC when I got it, there isn't anymore audio managing software on my PC...actually never mind, I found all my sound drivers needed on Dell.com so will get on that. So I'm uninstalling all drivers in the Dell directory, my video drivers and MB/chipset. And my last reply was me, just didn't sign out of my mate's account haha

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Okay, problem solved! :D There were basically some old gt 530 video drivers in my Dell folders which basically clashed with my current ones and once I deleted them...HEY PRESTO! All is running awesome with no lag C: Thanks for helping me, life saver :p

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Well, the system looks to be strong enough to me!
First off, reset everything you can to factory defaults to give yourself a level playing field.
Next, download the latest drivers for sound, video and motherboard.
Then uninstall those drivers and restart into Safe Mode.
Use the driver sweeping software and restart when it's done.
Manually check (this can be a pain) all the files and folders that should be deleted have been deleted.
Install the downloaded drivers Motherboard/chipset>sound>video.
You might also try Ccleaner to sweep the registry, just be sure to save a copy of said registry when it offers the option.
-Coozie7 2013