Apr 4, 2013
My old system died after 6 years of service. Here's what I'm looking at now:

Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
ASUS Maximus V Formula
Intel Core i7-3770K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
ASUS GeForce GTX670 DirectCU II Top
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Trying to figure out if I can fit a new storage disk in the budget, or if I have to stick with the newest of my current disks, and this partly depends how much money I end up spending on the PSU. As you can probably tell, temperature and noise levels are relatively important to me.
I plan to moderately overclock when I get the system, and when I start feeling like I need more power, I'll add water cooling and give it a more thorough treatment. I'd also like to have power to spare for a second GTX670. Eventually I'll be getting a second SSD exclusively for the OS too, but that should be a very minor impact on power requirements.
It's not really that big of a problem using the old storage disk, and if I go this route there's quite a bit of money to spend on the PSU. Of course, since I already went a bit stupid with the mobo (because I like the combination cooling, onboard sound and general featureset), there's no reason to pay out the wazoo for not much extra benefit.

There it is. I'm open to suggestions, advice and recommendations.

Norlag

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
You should only need about 500 watts. I recommend the seasonic S12II 520. Seasonic is the best brand for psus, so you really can't go wrong. You're looking at about a $65 price point for this particular model. Just make sure you get a psu that is at least 80+ bronze, it'll pay off.

Norlag

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Ahh thanks for pointing that out. I guess that means he can't afford the hard drive in his budget.

That may be true, but the PSU is the one component to NEVER scrimp on. I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 80+ Gold certified 750W PSU from a reputable manufacturer to power all those expensive components. Having a low quality PSU fry your expensive computer is a mistake you'll only make once...

Edit: Norlag, you obviously recognize the importance of a quality PSU based on your suggestion. I just want to drive the point home with the OP. :)