Which 120 GB SSD for better software exprience?

Better software exprience?

• Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Crucial M4 128GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel 330 120GB

• OCZ Vertex 4 120GB

• Total voters

atomicprince11

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi everyone.
I'm going to buy a SSD Drive to improve my PC.

My work includes Adobe Photoshop, Google Sketchup, Vray and other 3D and rendering software and I want a reliable and enduring drive that wouldn't fail on me.

My current option is limited to these drives:

Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
Crucial M4 128GB
Intel 330 120GB
OCZ Vertex 4 120GB

A little more information is required so that more detailed information can be provided.

What is the brand and model number of your motherboard?

Do you use your pc for professional work, student projects, or just typical use?

You mentioned Adobe Photoshop. Are you using a scratch disk?

If I could only choose from the 4 solid state drives you listed, then I would choose the Crucial m4. It is an "old reliable" that has been around for while.

I normally recommend Samsung due to their stellar track record. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

I might have more information about ssd's and the type of software applications you mentioned providing I can find the article I read a few days ago.

atomicprince11

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

I am aware of the Vertex 4 superiority over the rest but this page [ http://www.anandtech.com/show/6074/ocz-vertex-4-review-128gb ] put me in doubt.
I am sure that I am going to pass the 50% capacity and if the performance decreases afterwards, I doubt if Vertex 4 is the better drive.

atomicprince11

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

WOW, nice website you got there. Thank you.

I use my pc for professional work. Actually I have two pcs. The one that I am going to use the drive on, has P35 motherboard and Core2Duo E8400 CPU OCd @3.5GHz. The second is i7 sandybridge @2.00GHz.
I do my modeling with the first, and the renderings with the second. Its because Sketchup uses one thread in its workspace so its going to be faster with E8400, but as you may now saving and loading 3D models from hard drive takes a looooooooong time especially with more detailed models. That why I am going to use a SSD.
As for the Photoshop, scratch disk is the reason I want a SSD.

I like crucial a lot. I have had its DDR2 and DDR3 memories and I recommend it to everyone. I will go for m4 if no one could change my mind. :D